Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSV export with header row problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonKaufman

Programmer
Apr 13, 2006
US
I have CR XI, CR developer, product type: full

I have a report that must be exported to CSV for upload of records to a website.
The main data is in a group header with the headers on the Page Header section.
I want the export to look like the below two rows

"Employee_#","Facility_#","Mileage_Count","First_Name","Last_Name","Date_Posted"
"0068818340","30100","000675.00","ANNA","SMITH","10/23/2012"

Instead I get the following data exported into my CSV file.

"Employee_#","Facility_#","Mileage_Count","First_Name","Last_Name","Date_Posted",,"0068818340","30100","000675.00","ANNA","SMITH","10/23/2012"
"Employee_#","Facility_#","Mileage_Count","First_Name","Last_Name","Date_Posted",,"0068818340","30100","000675.00","ANNA","SMITH","10/23/2012"

I have seen the following instructions in other threads:
In the CSV export settings, do the following
1. Turn on Isolate Page/Report Sections.
2. Set Group Sections to Do Not Export.
When you set the format for the report, there's a checkbox that says "Use the export options defined in the report." This is on by default. Turn it off.

However, I do not see the export settings mentioned regarding "Isolate Page/report Sections"
When I select CSV to export, the only window that comes up after that is 'Character-Separated Values', after pressing ok, the report exports.

I have seen this thread:

which indicates to create fake header and then apparently suppress all the headers/footers, which doesn't seem to work either.

Is there a reasonable solution to having column headers with data exported to CSV that doesn't involve changing registry keys or upgrading to SR Server.
Thanks!

I have the same issue. I do one of two things as a work-around:

1. Suppress the header and copy/paste the header in after the export OR
2. Export to Excel and then save it as a CSV from Excel

-Andy

Thanks Andy...while that would normally work with no problem.

I should have added that this report will be on a scheduler, possibly using groffautomation software - still playing with it,
and then the run csv data would be scheduled to be emailed, so there would be no in between to doctor the report data.

Another way is to 'cheat', build the data as one long text string. The important part is that the column headers are in the report header. Then export as a text file (with a .csv extension).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back