Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS2 Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

osbel

Programmer
Sep 17, 2001
US
I am using CSS2 and several things are not working in IE5.5 such as page-break-after:always. Does anyone know if CSS2 is not supported in IE5.5 or if there is something I need to do to make it work. Thanks.
Leslie

IE 5.5 supports SOME CSS2 properties and methods but not that many. Mozilla and Netscape 6.x probably have the best CSS2 support right now.

IE 6's CSS2 support is not much better than IE 5.5's. =( ===
Supports Mozilla and Web Standards
Knows HTML/XHTML, CSS1, JavaScript, PHP, C++, DOM1
===

This may not be a problem with CSS2 support and possibly a problem with the media of your stylesheet. The page-break-after style is a print property and hence has to be defined for use a style when printing. To specify the media of your external stylesheet try this

<link rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; href=&quot;s.css&quot; media=&quot;print&quot;>

or for an inline style block try

<style type=&quot;text/css&quot; media=&quot;screen&quot;>

or for a block of style commands for use when printing within an external stylesheet use

@media print{
p{page-break-after:always;}
}

There are two options for the media &quot;screen&quot; or &quot;print&quot;. For a print style command to work like page break it must be specified for use when printing.

Also of interest is that NS4 doesnt recognise the @media block in a stylesheet so wont use any of the styles inside it. I actually find this more of a help than a hinderance at it allows me to specify IE and NS6 specific styles without having more than one stylesheet. For example

@media screen{
p{color:#ff0000;}
}

would make paragraphs red on screen but not in NS4 only in IE5+ and NS6

hope this is of help

rob

Hi all,

I just wanted to say that CSS support has always been way
better in MSIE.

BobbaFet Everyone has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at caswegkamp@hotmail.com

Heineken is like making love in a cano... it's f*cking close to water !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back