Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS with IE and NN (plus site check)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshep

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have designed a webpage that uses an external style sheet which has the page margin/boarder set to zero. This displays fine in IE but not in NN and due to this my layer does not line up properly. Go to to have a look - any help would be great!

Also any comments on this page would be much appreciated - general look etc.

Cheers,

Red

I think this is what you want, one of these examples should help:

Code with the following style in it (embedded shown for cut-n-paste convenience) -

<style type=&quot;text/css&quot;>
<!-- body { margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px}
-->
</style>

you could also try

body { margin : 0px 0px 0px 0px; }

This will take care of the margins in IE4+ and NN6. To take care of NN4x, you will need to use MODIFY | Page Properties... and set the two right hand margin fields (marginwidth and marginheight) to zero. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks for responding. I already have those attributes set in my style sheet but I was hoping that I would not have to go to every page and change the page properties for NN4x - I assume it does not pick up the style sheet - but if that is the way it has to be then so be it!

NN4X is bad when it comes to CSS, and is very picky about what it chooses to follow and what it chooses to ignore. :-0

By the way, site looks good in Opera & NN6. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

RedShep
I looked at the site and was impressed. None of the links go anywhere yet but I guess that you know that already.

This site has a nice clean look to it. I think that's classy and something more people should strive to acheive. I always go back to one site I visit to see how nice basics can be. Have a look at Sony's site.

No affiliation or anything~it's just a site that I like to visit for inspiration.

Cheers

euro

Hi Euro,

Thanks for the comments - a classy clean look was just what I was aiming for :), it is going to be a small site so no point in making it overly complicated. The first site I did is a bit muddly (the one) so hopefully I can use my new found knowledge on the new one and then update the old one too!

I like Sony too, will have more of a look about.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back