Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS Div tag Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleNFiesty

Technical User
Sep 26, 2006
US
I'm redesigned our website to a div tag layout.

I need to make my right container to be at least the same height as the left container, but it needs to be able to adjust if the content in the right container is longer than the left container.

But the right container needs to be at least the same height as the left container even if the content is less than the same height as the left container.

How do I set the height in the right container to do this?

Short answer: You can't.

Long answer:
Containers extend according to their content if set to auto. Or can have a specific height set in pixels or a percent of their parent. They cannot calculate their height based on another DIV.

You can fake it using Faux columns. This gives the illusion that the columns have the same height. But they really don't.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back