Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS borders in Netscape 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
If you've looked at tables with background colors in both IE and NN6 simultaneously (well who has, but you'll know what I mean), you've seen it: the borders aren't colored in on Netscape, while they are in IE. The spaces in between cells are the same way. You can see this on the top table on my webpage... I thought the &quot;border&quot; element for CSS would take care of things, but unfortunately it hasn't. And now that I'm implenting a background image for the table (not uploaded yet), it's definitely going to be noticeable. Has anybody been able to get an IE table and a NN6 table to look identical with a background image? Either get IE to have a white space in between cells or NN to have no space between cells?<br><br>Thanks... <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence."

Liam,<br><br>I don't even know how to respond to this question. The more exotic HTML rendering you use the more likely IE and NS will display the page differently.<br><br>The only way I ever accomplished a complex looking layout in NS was to use nested tables. A single cell table with a background color and cellpadding will look like a border around the inner table.<br><br>If you set cellspacing=0 both browsers will not display any borders between cells.<br><br>Hope this helps<br>-pete

akkk, nested tables :eek:) no thanks... I'm actually working on something new that looks kinda cool I guess, at least better than it does now on the web... I'll see if changing the cellspacing makes it look better or worse :eek:) thanks.. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

I havent checked your page, but have been doing similar things. I have used a &lt;div&gt; with a background and then put a table in the &lt;div&gt;. I think I remember you(Imotic) saying<br>that you dont use layers, but it works for me. I didn't used to.&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>Chris MacPherson<br><a href=mailto:thedamager@hotmail.com>thedamager@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= on the new Browza's!!<br>
Learn/t/ing D\HTML, Javascript, Java, VB5-6, COBOL, Pascal

NN6 doesn't implement layers in any case, so that wouldn't do it...<br><br>Trevman, why did you use images when you can use CSS? <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>

Because currently, all the browsers don't support most CSS border properties...<br><br><i>--Trevor</i>

well the 4.x browsers do... that's CSS1, I believe... that's enough support for me. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back