Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS and webmail systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
hello,

I'm trying to create an HTMl email, but am having the mare that is webmail and CSS.

I've come across this page
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.xavierfrenette.com/articles/css-support-in-webmail/[/URL]

Which has helped greatly to understand what was going on, but i have a problem, not sure if I can get round it so here goes..

that page seems to indicate that hotmail won't allow 'margin' to be used, is there anything I can do about this, I need to remove margin off some elements so the text aligns correctly and so there isn't large gaps between <p> & <h> tags, but the inline style keeps being removed.

What can I do?

also it seems GMail doesn't allow background, does anyone know if this is just the css use or also the <td> attribute 'background'.

if so how do you have an element with an image background and text over the top.

It seems you can't even embed the image with the IMG tag and then float the text over it as that page also indicates you cannot use 'float' with GMail.

all advice is very much appreciated.

regards,

1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

it's ok i cracked it, instead of removing the margin, i had to add addtional padding to compensate.

having tested it looks fine in Hotmail, G!Mail , Y!Mail , VirginMail & Tiscali.

So I think we are good to go!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back