Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CSS alignment within a container. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadpool42

Programmer
May 24, 2004
What I want is to have a search box on the right side of the page. It should consist of a text box and a submit button on the same line, with a link on the next line lined up with the left of the text box. Here's what it would look like with tables:

Code:
<table border="0" align="right">
	<tr><td><input type="text" /> <input type="submit" /></td></tr>
	<tr><td><a href="#">Advanced Search</a></td></tr>
</table>

Code:
<form style="float: right;" ...>
 <p>
  <input type="text" /> <input type="submit" /><br />
  <a href="#">Advanced Search</a>
 </p>
</form>
This is an example of how it could look using css.

Whoops, my problem was putting each line in a <div>. Now I'm kind of curious, is it possible without the <br />? Thanks.

Of course it is, you would just have to think of another way to decide on line breaks. You could do two paragraphs, you could do a fieldset and a paragraph or maybe an unordered list. Ultimately, you could even define that anchor element as a block level element and it would go into the next line. Whichever solution you think is most applicable, is the one you should go with.

You could modify Vragabond's example like this to get rid of the [tt]<br />[/tt]:

Code:
 <p>
  [COLOR=red]<div>[/color]<input type="text" /> <input type="submit" />[COLOR=red]</div>[/color]
 </p>
</form>

That should do the trick.

Regards

After some more expermentation, it seems that the float has to be declared on an inline element or else using a <div> within it will cause the whole thing to be left aligned. Could someone explain why that is to me?

Try to post the code and we'll have a look ;-)

Regards

Hi guys, quick question reguarding p elements based on this code. On the w3c site it says that p elements cannot contain block-level elements. On other sites i found that divs are generic block-level containers. I myself have used divs inside p elements, this code seems to work, but is there a reason why the recommendation says p elements cannot contain block level elemnts? are divs included?

Code:
 <p>
  <div><input type="text" /> <input type="submit" /></div>
 </p>
</form>

Yup, divs should not be inside paragraphs. While div is a generic block level element and can be nested many times within itself, or many block level elements can be nested inside a div, paragraph is a specific tag that is used for a paragraph of text. That is why it can only contain text and other inline elements and not any block level elements. You can put a paragraph around inputs and another one around anchor or maybe use a list element -- hard to say what would be the most acceptable without knowing more about your code.

Well you learn something new every day. It is only the <p> elements that cause problems. Headers and divs work fine. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back