Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Csico 837 Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishMike

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2007
EU
I have a cisco 837 which will now not boot. The last time it was used it was fine but I've just taken out of the cupbaord and when I power it on I get the 4 ethernet LED's on permanently but nothing else happens. When I connect via the console port I get a few random characters when it first switched on but then nothing. Does anyone have any ideas or should I give up on this one?

Thanks in advance!!

I can't boot into RONmon ... I can't boot into anything or do anything ...

Hello
That Router is dead!Had the same prob with a 1720.Cisco Router are very robust,but when they break there's no fixing.
Regards

Hi
new here, i have the same router 837, it was working ok, but was username locked, and rxd and txd lights fast flashing, i reset using rommon confreg 0x0142, it booted once but since has died. i.e strange characters, cannot break via hyperterminal commands etc.
is it gone and i'm wasting my time? i read (amongst other things)that the boot image may of gone?!
any ideas?
all help appreciated,
chris

to do a password recovery you want 0x2142.. not 0x0142

here is a link for config register settings

since you do get some characters inittialy i would go through all the baud rate settings one by one and make sure the configuration register wasnt' altered to something that would change the console baud rate...

thanks hugely for that.
not sure where i got the 0x0142, i'm new to this! i did try with lower baud rates but not higher, it went straight in at 19200. i have printed the linked file and added it to my huge mounds of reading.
thanks again, console baud rates have now stuck!
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back