Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS3 help with borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

krissyd

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
US
Hello, I am new to this and need help with something pretty basic. When I am in dreamweaver and I set up borders it all looks fine. But, when I see in a preview or when it is applied the borders are no longer a flat solid line, but have become 2d and have shading and look like a bevel. Why? How can I get rid of this? Thanks so much for your help. I have been trying to figure this out for so long!

How and to what exactly are you setting borders?

border:1px solid black; will create a solid thin black line around whichever element the property is applied to.

if you have a dvi you want to give a border to:

Code:
<div style="border:1px solid black">
</div>

On the other hand adding a border to a table like so:

Code:
<table border="1">

will create a beveled border, as that is the default behavior for a table border.

Using the style:
Code:
<table style="border:1px solid black;">

Should give you a solid thin border no matter what.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I was just using the border tools in properties. SO are you saying I need to change it in the code each time or I will get the beveled border?

Whats a dvi? Thanks for your help?

You'll need to use the CSS tool if you don't want to hand code it:

Now a DIV is a layout object, like box where you can place content it has different properties, I believe Dreamweaver calls them Layers.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It's really worth while learning the basics of HTML and CSS in order for you to understand the stuff DW is making for you, so that you will be able to correct its errors.

have some good basic stuff on CSS and HTML that should be compulsory for all web professionals.

Steam Engine Prints

My code doesn't look like that, vacunita. it looks like this:

<table width="622" height="522" border="6" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#9c370f">

I looked through the tutorials on the link johnwm gave me and it didn't offer how to make the borders I am looking for.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Code:
<table width="622" height="522" border="6" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" [red]style="border:1px solid #9c370f;"[/red]>
As I said if you don't want to hand code it use the CSS tool.
I gave you a link that explains how to use the CSS tool.

But you'll really want to learn the basics of CSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back