Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS2 on a Win8 laptop works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
I am running my old CS2 on my new Win8 laptop, and it launches and operates just fine. So far I haven't been able to see any functionality issues.

I found a site that led me to try my old software on my new machine. I did the following:
Run the disks
Enter my product code
Agree to the terms
When I got to the window that asks where I wanted to install the software I substituted "C:\Program Files (86x)\Adobe'" for "C:\Program~2\Adobe\"

Only two issues need to be resolved 1) the server that authenticates is always busy, and the software tells me I have 30 days to complete it, and 2) my favorite font JACKSON is not in the list of fonts. There is however, a boatload of new fonts that must be associated with the Win8 environment.

If the issue of authenticating still reoccurs, I can always phone in the info.

I am very pleased that the now ancient software I have still works!

Daniel

The activation server appears busy because it is no longer there. Adobe killed it and now offers a free download of a CS2 version that does not require activation. The trick of renaming the path from "C:\Program Files (86x)\Adobe'" to "C:\Program~2\Adobe\" is only needed for the old activated version. It is not necessary for the free version now available on Adobe.com. Just google for "adobe cs2 download".

There are a few quirks with CS2 on modern Windows OS. Those include UAC prompts and some window/palettes not always rising to the top of the desktop stack. But otherwise, CS2 still runs well.

Of course, the Mac version of CS2 is useless on modern Intel Macs but you can run the CS2 Windows version on a modern Intel Mac with Wine.

Spamjim,

Yes, I found the Adobe error message quite by accident. I uninstalled the CS2 on my laptop and went to the site and found the correct exe's. Oddly enough, the largest file called CS2 had three disks and each downloaded in about 6 or 7 minutes. When I installed the software, I did the \Program~2\ because I didn't know it would load anyway. When I looked for the program only Photoshop appeared. So I also downloaded the InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro.

They all installed well, and I could open files I had made previously on my deceased desktop computer.

I am going to copy all the exe's on a disk along with the codes on a couple of DVD's although I bet they will all fit on one disk.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I found the Jackson font, but it looks noting like what I had.

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back