Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1K Upgrade to 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TelSpt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2008
US
Has anyone completed the CS1K upgrade to 6.0. We are scheduled for it, but want to see if anyone else has completed the upgrade and what was learned from it.

Did one last week on a MG with P4 CPUs. The call server piece of it wasnt any different than it was in the past, but the UCM portion takes a lot of getting used to. Best advice I can offer is to read the UCM docs and then read them again.

Any issues at all. Did you have to upgrade the Sig Servers to Lynux? Any integration issues? Patches, etc?

For those of us looking at upgrading 4.5 to 6.0 what is the UCM?

All sig servers became COTS linux sig servers. The ISP 1100 sig servers aren't supported anymore, and thye earned their right to retirement after being in place since release 3.0.

We used the latest sig server and core deplists with no major issues to report.
UCM stands for Unified Communications Management. Its essentially a centralized login used to access element manager, the NRS manager, etc. I don't see a lot of benefit to it other than being another layer in the middle to get to. One nice piece is the centralized authentication which gives you single signon to all the elements in the security domain. UCM is handy, but in my opinion it should be optional, not mandatory.

questions, so ISP 1100 sig servers need to be replaced then? Also, would any additional equipment need to be purchased if moving from 5.5 to 6.0? We recently moved from 3.0 to 5.5 and of course had a lot of equipment purchases.

Do you have to purchase a seperate COTS for UCM or can it co-reside on sig-server?

From what I read UCM is the same as the ECM (Enterprise Common Manager)which would provides centralized authentication and also I expect it to provide Phone Field Folder which could allow administrators to program telephones just like the Telephony Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back