Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1K 8.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINSTONW

Programmer
Oct 27, 2016
US
Heard a rummer yesterday that Avaya has been getting many complaints about doing away with the CS1K and are thinking of keeping it alive with a release of 8.0. Time will tell i guess.

NTT-Data

Hadn't heard anything but not sure they need an 8.0, just continued support of the existing release would be fine.

Yep not heard anything and was on call with our Avaya Account team today

I wish! They would have to hire back a lot of people before they could do this I think.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I haven't heard anything either. I do know there are many changes coming up with the new Releases of CM that will allow:

1. Nortel Unistim phones to connect to the CM
2. Nortel Media Gateways will be able to connect to CM (Does not support PRI, just analog cards and analog trunks cards)

The first item does provide you some relief as the major cost of a migration is the cost of the phones, but I also hear that they are providing J129 phones for every Nortel license you convert to CM license. Not a bad deal, unless you need a headset. The J129 is either/or when it comes to handset/headset, no both, like the 1220 or 96XX series phones.

John Anaya
Amdocs Inc.
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

The one thing Avaya are not prepared to do, is do an R&D spend to create a new Processor to replace the CPPM or investigate a server based VM solution to replace it. The whole issue of supporting the CS1000E and its derivatives, was that the manufacturing source for components was drying up.. no one makes stuff that old anymore (unfortunately), that there were too many ancillary systems with the same forward looking issues (CallPilot in cabinet, MIRAN, MICB) and the unwillingness to continue two streams of CC for a LAN connected service and a unique but fit for purpose Meridian solution. Besides the problem of memory restrictions within the CPPM card, Avaya want to get away from hardware responsible to software and profit.

HOWEVER, one group of individuals have ALREADY overcome all of these issues for the future.. been doing so from virtually the day Nortel ceased trading, and they are Ex-Nortel.. e-MetroTel produce a softswitch to replace the core of CS1000 solutions up to and including multi-group. So the customer can keep all of their existing hardware, source replacement cab cards from the vast source of the second user market, integrate into any SIP solution going and have a manufacture, software developer, that will keep the solution going for as long as the very reliable hardware stays up.

A couple of things in the customers minds: is the offer Avaya making for CS1K holders attractive enough, can the offer be viewed as future proofed, does the alternative e-MetroTel option have enough support and life to make it viable or shall we bite the bullet, write off the capex expended and go for a new cloud subscription option with another vendor (or Avayas version of same)?

The Legacy Nortel customers I have wouldn't give Avaya their business if it were the last alternative. Cloud based systems are OK but the monthly recurring cost is never ending. Server based IP systems seem to be the solution. But there are literally thousands of Hotels/Motels out there as well as thousands of Hospitals with analog phones off of their CS1K's with no good alternative to replace them without a lot of expense. Many of the Hospitals are going with Cisco for Admin and then keeping the Nortel on the back end for analog sets. At least for now any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back