Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cs1k 7.5 ntp sync from base system/ date time - not updating 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

senk1s

Vendor
Dec 15, 2003
CA
I've entered an NTP server and after doing a sync now - the clock is showing the correct time in the current system date/time field

However the phones are not updating - also incorrect time on vty via element manager

How do i push this change thru to the phones?

The phones will take some time to update. Unplug a phone and plug it back in and see if it updates.

thanks for the reply
I've left it overnight - 9+hours - still incorrect
tried unplugging the phone (1 digital, 1 IP) no change in the clock

make sur you have ntp enabled in i believe it is ld 117...i think that is what i always forget to do

NTP Command descriptions
Note:
NTP commands are blocked for co-resident Call Server applications (Call Server and
Signaling Server applications co-located on a CP PM server). NTP configuration and
management are controlled from the Linux Base layer.
Note:
To apply Network Time Protocol configuration to all system elements, ensure the
configuration is done using Element Manager. CLI commands only configure the Call Server,
and may lead to inconsistent NTP operation at the system level.
Command Comment
CHG NTP IPADDR Configure the IP addresses for the Primary and/or
Secondary NTP Servers.
CHG NTP THRESH Configure the 3 NTP threshold levels (Minimum,
Warning, Maximum).
CHG NTP SECURE Configure the parameters used by the Primary and/or
Secondary NTP servers in secure mode of operation.
CHG NTP AUTHMODE Configure the security mode for the Primary, Secondary,
or both, NTP servers.
CHG NTP TIMEINT Configure both the time interval for background NTP
synchronization and the time offset from other
background routines.
CHG UTCOFFSET Configure the time offset (from UTC) for the local time
zone.
ENL NTP Enable NTP.
LD 117: Ethernet and Alarm Management

csk7.5 i read that we must not use ld 117 - but use the base manager to make the dty and ntp changes

it does show ntp is disabled in ld 117

I guess I'll go re-read

I agree, use Base Manager to configure it and enable it.

Are your patches current? The screen shot you show looks right but I would still enable it in the Call Server in LD 117 if it shows disabled.

thanks kcflhrc ... the ntp server addresses has not reached the cli.
i guess i'll need to add it there and then enable ntp

it is the warning about incosistent NTP on 7.5 that makes me not want to do this (I do this on Rls 5 systems)

I'll try and do this after the call center closes

Have you checked out the Feature Guide description on NTP. Lots of info there, maybe your just missing a step. Looks like there is either CS mode or SS mode and a host of other things. I have never done it on 7.5 but I will next week. Let us know what you find.

When I finished upgrades to 7.5 across 3 nodes (1 x1000M and 2 x1000E)I had similar NTP issues. I felt I followed the routines explicitly. I configured the NTP portion via EM on the primary and base systems. It did not seem to work properly. (VX works call srvrs being utilized) We use an external NTP server to provide the time to the signalling server (linux base) and the linux base updates the node stuff from there. Checking ld 117 (stat ntp)I noticed that the NTP IP was tied to the external NTP server vs the linux base box. Once I went through the process of disabling the NTP background service and NTP service itself. Entering the correct IP - enabling the services again and syncing all worked ok.
As a point of interest; A few weeks later I also tried on a sig server linux box (CPPM) using the - cli "ntpconfig" and configured it from that point. Not sure if that would have saved me some grief previously but it may assist..

sorry for the delay in posting back ...

had to manually set the ntp in 117 and it worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back