Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000M cabinet rls 4.5 to CS1000E rls5.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teekow

Vendor
Nov 23, 2003
US
I am reading through the NTPs and this does not look anything like a "normal" software only upgrade. I will be installing the new CPPM processor and also replacing the SSC with a new MGC in each cabinet. The NTP looks pretty complete, but I thought I would throw this out there anyway. Has anyone done this and ran into something that isn't obvious or needs to be watched for? I found the bulletin regarding bad loadware on the MGC so I am aware of making sure that is updated.

Anything else?

Thanks
Rob

I did it on a lab system. Only thing that stuck out as odd to me was that the CPPM needed a null modem adapter to talk to it while the MGC didn't, or the other way around. Pay attention to the media gateway config changes, as the TN format changes to large system format. Phone types change also.

If I were doing an upgrade on a live system, I might be tempted to capture a full TNB printout. The fact that the TNs change and phone types change by themselves doesn't make me feel the most comfortable.

I followed the NTPs and didn't run into any issues that weren't easily solved. Make sure you've got the extra 512MB of memory for the sig servers, as 5.0 requres 1 gig in each SS.

Main cabinet (IPMG 0 0) upgraded fine but I cannot communicate with 2nd cabinet (IPMG 0 1). My DSP daughterboards have assigned TLAN IP addresses and the VGWs are built, but they won't register with the call server.

Any ideas out there?

Rob

VERY IMPORTANT for anyone performing this type of upgrade. You must have at least one IP ISM (User or trunk) built in the keycode in order to have this upgrade be successful. Without it, the sig server and DSPs cannot fully register to the Call Server and there will be no inter-cabinet communication. This traffic rides the TLAN which cannot be brought up without DSPs. When trying to assign a zone number to the MGC (one per cabinet), you get a sch1550 which says the zone is not configured (even if it is there and enabled). Nortel knows about this "requirement" but of course it is not mentioned in ANY documentation. VERY INFURIATING!!!!

Another reason my upgrade failed is a known problem with communication between TMDI cards and MGC cards. We had the main cabinet upgraded and all calls in/out had very noticeable clicking and popping. Again a known issue with this type of implementation (but at least that is something that will eventually get fixed). The fix for this will most likely be a patch or new MGC loadware.

Hope this helps someone else.

Rob

Also keep in mind that PRI loops are now virtual and and both the virtual loop and the physical TN's has to be added manually after the upgrade... That's what I struggled a bit with...

I2007

The problem is that you have to think different than before. When you get that, its rather easy.

Co-located cabinets should be in the same zone.
See to that the zones are built first.
Assign each cabinet to IP addresses and zones in LD 97.

Be Sure that the E and T lan addresses in the system and localy at the MGC cards are set up correct.

Are the DSP configured at the right TN:s?
DSP32 cards at tn x x 0 x
DSP96 cards at tn x x 11 x

Are the DSP:s placed on the right location on the MGC card?

Yes, all of the above are configured correctly and yes, it is quite easy. However, there is a KNOWN but UNPUBLISHED issue that Nortel has admitted to on systems that carry no VOIP ISMs (user or trunk) as described above.

Hi to all

I need to check the D-channel, with rel. 4.0 I did something like this

LD 96
.ENL MSGI 12
.ENL MSGO 12

Todey with rel 5.0 without error meesages don't show me nothing.

Can anybody help me please

yes, with rel 4 you did like that and you have to do that with rel 5 also (if that is the D-channel numbers).

In rel 5 you also has to say what port the traces should be sent to, so from your TTY port (LD 96) also give the command

enl mon tty

then you should have your traces on the screen. To shut them off, send dis mon tty

Hello,
Does anyone know if you can install the CPPM CS into slot 9 on an Option 11 cabinet as it only requires power or does it have to go into slots 1-8 as I believe you lose slots 9 & 10.

Also do you have to configure cabinet 0 as Loop 000 shelf 0 & cabinet 1 Loop 000 shelf 1 or can you configure cabinet 0 as Loop 004 shelf 0 and cabinet 1 as Loop 8 cabinet 0

Thanks!

CPPM CS goes to any slot without slot 0. Also 9 and 10.

Cabinet 0 will be loop 0 shelf 0, cabinet 1 loop 0 shelf 1, cabinet 2 loop 4 shelf 0 and so on.

I know what the default cabinets and shelfs are, I am asking if you can set cabinet 0 as loop 4 shelf 0 and cabinet 1 as loop 4 shelf 1.

Thanks

In the conversion it becomes like I said before.
I guess you can call cabinet 0 if you build a new system for anything you like, or if you move your loop 0 shelf 0 cards to another loop and shelf.

But I cant se why..

yes it done in LD 97
SUPL SUPT SLOT XPEC0 XPEC1 SHLF ZONE0/1 IPR0/1

004 IPMG ---- -- - - -- - - 0 100 10.23.49.15
1 --- ---------------
008 IPMG ---- -- - - -- - - 0 101 10.23.49.20
1 102 10.23.49.21
096 ---- ---- PHANTOM -- - - --- --- - --- ---------------
100 ---- ---- VIRTUAL -- - - --- --- - --- ---------------

Thanks for the replies,

I have installed my CPPM-CS in slot 9 (as they do only need power from the backplane and amphenol for the TTY ports)and all is good. I also used SUPL on my option 11 cabinets as 4.0 & 4.1,

FYI, you can install ANLG & DGTL cards in slots 9 & 10 for option 11 cabinets.

Thanks again

Went into a problem with old M2616 / M3820 on Rls. 5.0 Cabinets. Sets calling out to PSTN (IPMG0-0 or IPMG0-1) have One-way speech. Calls from M39xx to PSTN is OK.

Customer has 175 M2616/M3820 and 3 M39xx sets...

Any idea?

yes, I guess you have plugin 35 enable. Put that out of service and try again.
Plugin 35 should not be used in 1000E machines.

Sennback, no plugins are enabled:

pdt> plp

0 TO 43 - DISABLED
44 TO 46 - NOT SUPPORTED
47 TO 48 - DISABLED
49 - NOT SUPPORTED
50 - DISABLED
51 TO 52 - NOT SUPPORTED
53 - DISABLED
54 - NOT SUPPORTED
55 TO 62 - DISABLED
63 - NOT SUPPORTED
64 TO 66 - DISABLED
67 - NOT SUPPORTED
68 TO 70 - DISABLED
71 - NOT SUPPORTED
72 TO 74 - DISABLED
75 TO 200 - NOT SUPPORTED
201 TO 203 - DISABLED
204 TO 511 - NOT SUPPORTED

we had this problem, and that was only on 2616 tn:s.
Do you know if its possible to call out from a 2006 or 2008 TN?

As a workaround we reprogrammed the 2616 sets to 2008 with display, that worked until we solved the problem.

Where are the TN:S located for the 39xx sets?
Are there 2616 sets with problem in the same cabinet as there are working 39xx sets?

Sennback,

problems are only on TNs programmed as 2616 (using M3820 or M3310).

No, we have not tried reprogramming sets to 2008.

TNs for M39xx sets are both in IPMG0-0 and IPMG0-1 mixed with 2616.

Do you know what solved the problem, Patch from Nortel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back