Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000E Rls.5.0 CPPM CS boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokerel

Technical User
Jan 11, 2007
GB
I have a new installation of a CS1000E Rls.5.0. On the CS, when I first start the card, the system won't boot from the faceplate. I have used two CF 512MB cards, one bootable, with the software, and another blank, as the FMD. When the system boots, it brings up the EBDEBUG menu, and says "No bootable drive found".

Could you please help me with that?

Many thanks,
Radu.

Have you gone through the steps to create a bootable RMD from the NTPs? It sounds like the card you recieved with the software is having issues.

I have also run into an instance where the 2-port sdi cable was mis-labelled, and you cannot access the boot menu from port 1.

Yes, I have followed all the steps in the NTP. In fact, I've used the same card to load the software on the signalling server, but on the CS doesn't seem to work. Could this have something to do with the size of the FMD? I use a 512MB card because I have no 1GB cards...

You should have received a 1GB card with the new system. The FMD is supposed to be a minimum of 1GB. I don't know if that would cause the card to refuse to boot from the faceplate though.

It's possible you have a bad card. Can you remove the HD, move the FMD, and load the CS software on the Signaling Server?

That should let you know if the card is bad.

I have tried using the other CPPM (the one I use now as SS) as CS, and still won't boot. It could be the size of the FMD, although in the NTP's it says you need a minimum of 512MB.
I've tried using a 2GB card as FMD as the original 1GB card from Nortel is no where to be found, but it doesn't seem to work.
I hope I'll get another 1GB card from a local computer shop, and try again.

Does the card give you the opportunity to boot from the faceplate?

If not, try switching to the other connector of the 2 port SDI cable.

yes, it shows me the option, and it reacts to it. I'll try using the other connector now.

At this point, it sounds like the RMD is not bootable. You stated that you used it to load software on the signaling server. When you reformatted the card and copied the CS software, was everything good?

There are a couple of warnings in the NTP's to make sure that all files copied to the card are contiguous, etc. Also, try to verify that the files necessary to boot are in fact present on the RMD (nvram.sys & bootrom.sys)

I've reformatted the card using the utility in the CS software. Also, I've copied the software and everything was fine. I suspected something was wrong with either the CF cards or the CCPM, but it seems this is not the case. Most definetly it is the size of the FMD that matters. I hope I'll try with a 1GB card this evening...

Similar problem you have to have a 1 gig CF in the FMD slot & only certain makes will work (scan disk worked for me)

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

Did you change your s5 setting on the Call Server for the cppm card. This is what determines whether it will boot from the hard drive if it is a Signalling Server or whether it boots from the RMD for the Call Server, also the 512 should be for your Call Server Software, and should have the software already on it, but unless you change s5 it will not work automatically.

Also the rmd goes on the inside of the cppm call server, sorry about that, it will not boot from the front faceplate of the card this is for edd's and backups.

CSCsupport - the RMD is the removable media device (faceplate). the FMD is the fixed media device (on the card).

You can boot from the RMD to install software on the card.

I've changed the S5 dip switch to position1, of course, but it has nothing to do with the problem unfortunately. I'm still waiting for the 1GB card to come, I hope this will work.

OK, it worked with a 1GB compact flash, fortunately. Seems it's a must to have this capacity FMD.

Anyway, after it booted and formatted the FMD, the system again wouldn't boot, it froze after the CPU frequency listing. I had to format the 15MB partition left visible on the FMD with the mkboot utility, and then it worked.

Thanks guys for your answers,
Radu.

seems there's a bug in the CPPM software blocking either the FMD or RMD boot capability. I tried booting from the faceplate to upload another customer database on the system, and it wouldn't boot from the RMD, although I pressed F to boot from the faceplate. Then I tried formatting the FMD to re-install the software, and now it wouldn't boot at all. I tried mounting a HDD and setting the s5 to p2, like on a cppm SS, and boot from the faceplate with the same CF card and it worked, but when I try to boot with the cf fmd, it shows me again the ebdebug menu.

Could the FMD be somehow in a blocked state? it doesn't seem to recognize the CF at all, and I'm 100% sure there's nothing wrong with the CF cards.

Use a 1 Gig card you can format it using windows as type FAT. Then just copy the boot files. I have done this successfully.

Just stuck a 1000E HA together last week should come with 4 Compact Flash 2 1Gb for each processor (FMD) 1 Install (RMD) and 1 backup (RMD). Only problems I've had in the past is as "phones1" said with some CF's are unsupported SANDISK usually ok. The error no bootable drive found means what it says it cant see a bootable OS on FMD or RMD. The CF's should have come in the Keycode box in a white carboard package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back