Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CS1000 cannot make outbound calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

notaphoneguy27

Technical User
Jul 16, 2023
US
Hi all, new here and still relatively new to the phone tech space so bear with me. We have an option 81c Nortel system and earlier today lightning struck nearby. Unsure as to what it struck but now we are unable to make calls outside of the nortel system, strangely we can receive calls from outside of the nortel, however we're unable to pick them up. I've checked the call processors on our main and backup shelf and everything seems fine. However since this happened we've also been getting an XMI000 error

XMI000 4 : RSIG link lost on port #0 - Reinitialized

I've dug through the limited documentation I have on sight and the error code index states

XMI0000 aaaa Message "aaaa" received from a Network Card (NT8D04). The possible
messages are: 1. PLL UNLOCK EVENT. The Network card lost synch with the
system clock. 2. MSG FROM SHELF x: XPEC ERROR 0001. This error is
usually self correcting. If may indicate a double timeslot problem or invalid call
teardown. 3. TN READ UNBLOCKED: CNT=x. A number of SSD messages
were sent to the PS card but not acknowledged. In order to prevent the locking
of the message path, the Network card assumed the message was received.
4. Any of the following three messages: XNET POLLING FAILURE ON PORT
x RSIG LINK LOST ON PORT #x - REINITIALIZED R71 DISASTER;
CANNOT ALIGN TRANSCEIVERS. These messages indicate that the
Controller is not responding to the Network card polling messages.
Action: 1. a. Ignore if message occur when clocks are switched.
b. If it occurs periodically, switch the clocks.
c. If it occurs often, replace Network card or clocks. Random XMI000 messages
may be generated if excessive Electrostatic Discharges (ESD) are allowed to
enter the system. These messages may be safely ignored. Refer to General
Maintenance Information (553-3001-500) for ESD avoidance practices.
2. a If message occurs rarely, ignore it.
b. If it occurs often, replace the Controller.
3. a. If message occurs rarely, ignore it.
b. If it occurs often, replace the PS or Network card.
4. a. Check cabling between Controller and Network.
b. Replace the Controller.
c. Replace the Network. In X11 Release 15 and 16, "FRw APx SQy TPz" is output
before the text, where "w" is the loop number. This data is not output in X11
Release 17 and later. Messages without text indicate that the Network or
Controller card have requested software download.
Severity: Critical. Critical to Monitor: No. SNMP trap: Yes

Near as I can tell our Controller and Network cards are fine. But I'm kind of at a loss as to if that is the right course of action, and I'm kind of low man on the totem pole at this job, however our lead technician is on vacation all week so I feel like a fish out of water. Any advice from some more experienced players would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

It seems that you have lost one or more of your digital trunks. The quickest way is to log in and go to LD 60 to check the clocking. Try SSCK 0 to list out the current status as I'm thinking that the lightning has disrupted the tracking that you had listed in your message output.

It might have become disabled or gone into freerun which means that the digital trunks are locally tracked when they should be clocking off your local telephone exchange. Therefore your lines aren't synchronised anymore.

Also some or all of your trunks have become disabled. Usually some of the PRI network cards should all have green LEDs. Any red means out of service and yellow means it isn't linked to the exchange.

In some cases, you need to contact your line provider as the problem might require them to reset the circuit for you.

Try LD 96 to check the DCH as you might need disable it and enable it again.

If I recall this correctly,then you need to try it in this order.

LD 60 to STAT the card or DCH number
DISC to disable the card
ENLC to enable the card
STAT it again to see if the trunks are idle

LD 96 to STAT MSDL
DIS MDSL card or DCH number
ENL MSDL card or DCH number
STAT MSDL
STAT DCH
DIS DCH
ENL DCH

LD 60 do SSCK 0 to check the clocking status
Try DIS SSCK 0 and then ENL SSCK 0
You should see the clocking become active.

I'm not sure if I have given you all the commands and if they are in the right order as I don't work on Nortel Meridian these days and I'm doing this all from memory.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I appreciate the response Firebird. We replaced the Net cards for the Loops that were receive the XMI000 error and they cleared up. We're still are unable to dial out but we referred it up to Tier to as the engineer said it sounds like it needs to do a SYSLOAD since none of the stats or disable/enable steps or reseating cards seem to fix the issue. Strangely everything seems fine, all DCH's and loops say up and operational. We did see that the clocks were in freerun and we fixed that so thank you for that.

Nonetheless I appreciate the prompt response, and I'm impressed you're able to remember all of that being you don't work on it anymore. And thank you again for the help.

Andrew

No worries Andrew

What I would do is to go into LD 135 or 137 ( Can't remember which load) and do STAT CPU.

Both CPU'S should be there and synced OK.
Try SWAP CPU to force it to move onto the other processor.

Failing that take the front covers off the main network shelves usually marked as NET 0 and NET 1 where your CPU's are located and press the MAN INI button on each CPU at the same time twice to force the system to do a full reboot.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Interesting update on this. Came in today and found it still wasn't fixed, and found out that apparently if we open up an analog TN we can make an outbound call, so it appears to be isolated to Digital phones. I didn't even think to check this last week. We're trying to isolate it further now with that knowledge. We did the INI on both CPU's and everything is still the same. only thing was the CLI got stuck, though it's back now. Clocking on CPU's are good and both CPU's appear to be functional.

Andrew

Go into LD 32 and use the command ENLC ( shelf, loop and card) to enable the card.

What I always used to do was go into LD 17 and use OVLY as the gate opener and when you get to DROL to type in X30 and press return a few times to get back to REQ as this will prevent the digital cards from disabling if this was the case during the systems nightly routines.

The chances are that the digital cards are disabled or that the recent power outage has damaged a few of them.

Also check the shelves circuit breakers in case a shelf is out of power.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back