Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CrystalReports connection to Oracle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris6user

Programmer
Dec 10, 2001
CA
Can I connect to Oracle DB without using tnsnames.ora?

when I create the connection to oracle it asks you for a server name which is a service name from tnsnames.ora, it doesn't like when I specify just a server name. I tried to create different odbc connections using different drivers(MS Oracle, CR Oracle, Oracle) but they all ask only with service name. Is there is a way to connect directly?

You can also use OLE DB and Crystal's direct connectivity, but I think that you'll still need an Oracle client.

BTW, use the CR ODBC if using ODBCC.

-k

to synapsevampire, OLE DB is using Oracle client too

Every Oracle connection type except (supposedly) the CR Wire Protocol driver, require that you have the Oracle Client installed.

As for not using a TNSName (service name) for connection, that depends on how the database is set up. There is an option to connect just via the server (IP alias) name, but certain conditions have to exist on the server, such as the database name has to be the same as the server name, etc. Your DBA would have to set that up. Since multiple databases can exist on the same server, a service name is usually required to distinguish between them.

If your issue is that you don't want to have to deal with local TNSNames.ORA files for everyone, but would like the names to be centrally managed, an Oracle Names server can be set up, or an LDAP server can be used, but again these are database setup issues. If the DBA has designed the environment to use local TNSNames files, then that is what you'll have to use.

Chris: Right, that's what I wrote, you can use OLE DB, but I think that you'll still need a client.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back