Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal XI vs. What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImArchimedes

Technical User
Sep 25, 2007
My business has been using Crystal for quite some time but have had one too many snares recently. I was looking for input on what a viable alternative would\could be. Functionality would have to be at least the same with, hopefully, more stability and a watered down interface for report end users to through things together and make minor design\layout changes. Is there something like this?

Thanks everyone.

The closest might be SQL Server Reporting Services.

Crystal is #1 for a reason, and you might find that problem resolution is your concern, not the product. It's usually the result of people designing reports that have very little database and Crystal knowledge.

Try posting what the problems are instead...

-k

Hmmmm... Well, is there a way to have end users modify reports on their side without having to come to support simple to change a text field or to move a field 2 inches in one direction or another? Bear in mind these users could not afford an actual CR license and have only basic computer skills. They can learn something new but learning crystal 11 would be too much for there skill and teaching 900+ clients would prove difficult.

Any thoughts?

Give the business one or two machines with Crystal set up, allowing them to do simple changes.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

My client is using java based reporting tool from Jaspersoft called jasper reports. They seem happy with it but I have not had a chance to evaluate it yet.

Google jaspersoft

Ian

You might take a look at MS SQL Server reporting Services "Report Models" feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back