Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRYSTAL XI - Populating blank field with data

Status
Not open for further replies.

marisam

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
US
The report I have works perfectly except I need to make some modifications to the detail part of the report.

The problem I have is that I need to populate the expiration date of the main application to the children.

There is a main application (the parent) filed in the United States. Each state is considered a child of the main application. I want the main application expiration date to be displayed for each Child application. The status number and the type are always the same.

The report is group by app no. The information below appears in the detail section.

Currently:
App no. 1

App
App Type Status Status # Exp
US app UF publication 100233 4/15/06
NJ UF designated 100233
NY UF designated 100233
CT UF designated 100233

Desired Results
App no. 1
App
NJ UF designated 100233 4/15/06
NY UF designated 100233 4/15/06
CT UF designated 100233 4/15/06

Thanks for the help.

Simply create a summary field based on the maximum value of the expiration date reset at the state level. Then place this summary in the detail section.

To create a summary, insert the experation date into the detail section and right-click on it and pick "insert" then pick maximum and reset at the right group.

Howard Hammerman,
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site classes and one-on-one coaching
Low-cost telephone/email support
FREE independent Crystal newsletter
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Thank you for the response. I tried to solution and it works however, I made an error in my initial question to you. I apologize.

It's possible that within the each app no there could applications that are filed that are related to the main application but not children of the main application.

I tried to come with a formula where the status number was
checked for each state. If the status number matched then I would apply the expiration date of the main application.

If the status number of the US main application matches the children NJ, NY, CT then replace the blank expiration with the expiration date of the main application otherwise use the expiration date displayed in the database.

Currently:
App no. 1
App
NJ UF designated 100233
NY UF designated 100233
CT UF designated 100233
JP TP filed 9999 5/14/12
GB TP granted 8885 8/15/16

Desired Results
App no. 1
App
NJ UF designated 100233 4/15/06
NY UF designated 100233 4/15/06
CT UF designated 100233 4/15/06
JP TP filed 9999 5/14/12
GB TP granted 8885 8/15/16

Thanks

I see,

What you need to do is create a formula field that uses your summary field like this:

IF ISNULL({childtable.datefield}) then MAXIMUM({table.datefield},{application number} else {childtable.datefield}

Howard Hammerman,
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site classes and one-on-one coaching
Low-cost telephone/email support
FREE independent Crystal newsletter
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

There is only one date field. The database doesn't identify parent vs. child. The only way to identify the parent vs. child is by the app (US main app) and the type. The parent & children appd always have the same type (UF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back