Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal XI connecting to a remote Oracle DB via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

it3kn0

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2007
I just installed Crystal Reports XI on a windows box (XP) with a local Oracle 10G DB.

Everything went well and I was able to create a Data Source with no problem and had completed creating my first CR report within 5 minutes.

A very intuitive interface.

I know want to install Crystal Reports on a new machine that does not have a local db and I have not found a way to connect to a remote Oracle DB without having to install the Oracle DB client. I was looking at thread784-1275537 and it mentioned some other ways to do this via ODBC for the purists...

Would this involve purchasing a 3rd party odbc driver? I was unable to connect to the Oracle DB with the default MS driver provided.

Thanks for any leads on this.

//R

You're not going to be able to run the report without the Oracle client installed - even with an ODBC connection.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back