Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal UFL to return distance between 2 zip codes 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Has anyone ever heard of this? I would like to be able to return the approximate # of miles between 2 zip codes. I have to believe this exists, but I have not seen it anywhere.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Found this at the US Census Bureau:

This is the file layout for ZCTA's - zip code tabulation areas and it provides latitude and longitude as part of the file. Hopefully that will get you started in the right direction.

Lyle

The ZCTA file contains data for all 5 digit ZCTAs in the 50 states, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico as of Census 2000. The file is plain ASCII text, one line per record.

* Columns 1-2: United States Postal Service State Abbreviation
* Columns 3-66: Name (e.g. 35004 5-Digit ZCTA - there are no post office names)
* Columns 67-75: Total Population (2000)
* Columns 76-84: Total Housing Units (2000)
* Columns 85-98: Land Area (square meters) - Created for statistical purposes only.
* Columns 99-112: Water Area (square meters) - Created for statistical purposes only.
* Columns 113-124: Land Area (square miles) - Created for statistical purposes only.
* Columns 125-136: Water Area (square miles) - Created for statistical purposes only.
* Columns 137-146: Latitude (decimal degrees) First character is blank or "-" denoting North or South latitude respectively
* Columns 147-157: Longitude (decimal degrees) First character is blank or "-" denoting East or West longitude respectively

OK that is cool, I can import this into a SQL database, but does anyone know how to calculate distance given latitude and longitude?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

OK I found a formula for distance that works perfectly in Excel, so I now need crystal functions for radians() and Arcosine() to make this work. I am using crystal XI Developer.

Are these fnctions available in CR2008?

Does anyone know of a UFL for them?

Don, If you do a search on radians in the Help section, it references multiple functions that returns values in radians. One is called Acos (inverse cosine)--could this be what you are looking for? This is in XI.

-LB

That's what I have. Help->search->acos says that it is OLAP syntax, so I think you would have to use the OLAP Cube Report Wizard on the start menu.

-LB

Millet Software has just added a Distance() function that returns the distance between 2 points, given their latitude and longitude. I got the message tonight so maybe this thread inspired him.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Update: I got this to work, I found a distance forsmula on the web that did not require and new UFLs.

Interesting report request. My customer gets a call from say, Louisville, KY and he needs to refer the caller to a distributor. He knows off the top of his head he has no distributors in KY but where does he send them?

So now he has a report that prompts for a zip code and returns all distributors, sorted by the closest one to the caller. Lots of other data on his distributors is also displayed: address, phone, sales volume in the last 12 months, etc.

It was one of the most interesting reports I have written in a while.

Thanks to all that helped - Ido, LB and LyleU.

Don,

I would be interested in seeing the formula you found for distance. Is it this or did you find another?

Ken,

Yes that's the one. I wanted to use the great circle formula, the most accurate of the formulas, but alas no arccosine function in crystal. However I was very please with my results.

You can use the Atn() function instead can't you?

Numbervar x:= (sin(lat1/57.2958) * sin(lat2/57.2958)) + (cos(lat1/57.2958) * cos(lat2/57.2958) * cos(lon2/57.2958 - lon1/57.2958))

3963.0 * atn(sqr(1-x^2)/x)

CR8.5 / CRXI - Discovering the impossible

Sorry forgot the ;

Numbervar x:= (sin(lat1/57.2958) * sin(lat2/57.2958)) + (cos(lat1/57.2958) * cos(lat2/57.2958) * cos(lon2/57.2958 - lon1/57.2958));

3963.0 * atn(sqr(1-x^2)/x)

What is the MEASUREMENT that the Distance is returned in by this formula (Miles, or Kilometers)...?

Senior Business Intelligence Consultant
Toronto, Canada

SeagateInfo 7 -> Crystal Enterprise -> BOE-XI (R2) / (R3.1) | Crystal ( 7 -> 2008) design | WebI design | Best practices for Java / .Net / Web Services

With the value 3963.0 it is given in Miles - For kilometres use 6378.7

'J

I cannot use variables as I need to sort by the group totals. But yes, this is what I said, I found an option that does not require UFLs.

If you declare the variable local and use WhileReadingRecords instead of WhilePrintingRecords, then this formula should not affect sorting.

You can total a formula that uses local variables as long as it is not WhilePrinting. And if you can total it you can use the total in a Group Sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back