Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal SQL Code linking to partial database field entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Hnat

MIS
May 4, 2017
CA
Being in the Travel Industry I am always dealing with fields and tables in a database associated with flight bookings. I have a issue that has stumped me for a long time now and was looking for some guidance.

In one table (BOOKING) there is a field that contains the flight routing in linear "code" fashion like ... SEADENATLMIA, which stands for Seattle - Denver - Atlanta - Miami
In another separate table (CITY) there is a listing of all worldwide City Codes in one field and the corresponding City Name in another.
SEA, Seattle
DEN, Denver
etc

For Crystal Reports ... I need to extract the linear SEADENATLMIA info from the BOOKING table and show "Seattle Denver Atlanta Miami" as one field on a Crystal report (space delimiter)

I can achieve my end goal by doing this in 2 steps in MS Access but I really would like to do this on the fly in one step in Crystal (if possible)

In MS Access
1. Create a query to extract the individual 3 letter city codes from SEADENATLMIA ... by using the LEFT and MID functions
field 1 CityCode1: LEFT([BOOKING].[ROUTING],3)
field 2 CityCode2: MID ([BOOKING].[ROUTING],4,3)
field 3 CityCode3: MID ([BOOKING].[ROUTING],7,3)
etc

2. I create a second query based on the first query from above ... link the above 3 letter [CityCode1-3] fields individually to the [CITY] table's 3 letter code to get the City Name in the form of ... CityName1+" "+[CityName2}+" "+[CityName3] etc

Is it possible in Crystal to do some sort of linkage for each 3 letter city code found in the linear field in SQL and link them to the City table containing the City Names and subsequently giving me ... Seattle Denver Atlanta Miami?

Hopefully I am explaining myself clearly.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Gary

You should only post in one Crystal Reports forum. I responded in the Formulas forum.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back