Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal reports XI "Set parameter order" only displays the first 65 parameters there's no

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersonCJA

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
US
Hello, is there anyone out there who has experienced this problem or might have a solution?
The report has 110 parameters. The set parameter order screen only displays 65 of the parameters.
It is difficult to sort the bottom 30 because parameters the cursor selection can not be seen once it goes below the 65th parameter.
There is no scroll bar.

Thank you,

This little bug is really bugging me. Have any of you created a crystal report with over 65 parameters?
I can reduce the number of parameters by 20 or so by specifying, 'allow multiple values' within some of the parameters, but I still have over 65 parameters.
With using the - 'Allow multiple parameters', I have to create formulas to display each of the parameter values.
I have documentation, but have not been successful with it yet. Thank you for your feed back it is very appreciated.

I can't help you with your problem, but I am curious - can you describe your report a little and why it needs 110 parameters? I'm sure there are valid reasons but I'd like to know more. (It's possible that cascading parameters might also help to get that number down a bit).

My #1 rule for report writing is to make one report do the work of many, and that is usually accomplished with parameters. But there's a point at which user pushback at having to enter so many values exceeds the benefit of having a single report. My experience is that number is usually around a dozen or so.

Again, I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but just wondering about your requirements for my own curiosity.

Hi briangiffin!! I am happy to get your response. To answer your question, it is a long form. It provides data from the data base while providing parameters for information that is different for almost every case. I looked into the option of doing this in Excel, but there seems to be a lot of red tape regarding db permissions/restrictions for the person who will be using it at their workstation. I am open for suggestions.

It sounds like you are trying to use Crystal Reports as a way to generate a form that the user can then complete.

Instead of expecting the user to respond to so many parameters, consider generating a PDF form directly from the Crystal report.
At least one of the 3rd-party Crystal Reports desktop schedulers listed at: can do this. You basically use Crystal formulas that act as tag directives for the process to place form fields on the PDF export. These form fields can be free form text edits, drop-downs, checkboxes, etc. And they can be pre-filled with different default values based on database info related to each user or event type, so that each user gets a form that is already partially filled.

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back