Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRYSTAL REPORTS -TRAINING CLASSES???

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionStar

Technical User
Dec 3, 2004
US
Dear Forum:

Has anyone taken the intermediate and Advanced Crystal Reporting classes AND did you feel that they were worth the time and expense?

All input is appreciated. Thx

Mike

"A man is only as happy,... as he makes up his mind to be...

Hi,

I am a Crystal Instructor - and can tell you that if you want to create anything other than basic reports than the courses are very important.

You will learn how to write advanced formulas, parameters, subreports, and other topics that will complete the overview of most of Crystal's features and functions.

Plus if you get a good instructor he/she may share experiences they have had - which are invaluable!

hope this helps

paulmarr

Ahhhh sounds great. We are a larger bankruptcy law firm and I'm carrying over my accounting experience from a Travel Management company background. Law firms have NUMEROUS data elements...and our system has MANY, MANY databases.

One of the items I'm most interested in is pulling data from DIFFERENT data sources (programs) and reporting on ONE report. We have many different PROGRAMS where we need to pull different data from each and ROLL onto one report.

I'll be trying to attend the class here in DALLAS next week...so, I'm sure I'll benefit greatly. I'm a real advocate of Crystal Reporting. It is an amazing system.

My favorite line to management here is.... "Crystal CAN do it, Crystal can do it....."

Thank you for your input.

Mike

"A man is only as happy,... as he makes up his mind to be...

It would be helpful if you provide a little mre information. See FAQ149-3762

You might check some of the publications in Business Objects but my best training is jump in and do it.

If you understand your database as well as the SQL syntax that goes with your database, then you are 80% there. Key to success is properly linking and knowing what to select from the database. From there, you will pick up how to group and summarize, which is much simpler than doing it with SQL.

Hope this helps.

-LW

Hi Mike,

Great - reporting from multiple datasources in the same report requires a little forethought and dependng on size and location of the datasource may take a while to process.

Please make the trainer aware that this is what you are interested in doing - I know I try to show specific examples of techniques that attendees are interested in learning if they let me know! In advance is a bonus!

Cheers,

Paul

The linking across different data sources is limited to single field joins. My favorite approach for overcoming this limitation is to link all these data sources into a single MS Access databases.

You can then create queries or use these linked tables directly as the data sources for Crystal. A similar approach works well with SQL Server and DTS.

Cheers,
- Ido

CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back