Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports SQL criteria question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMcKenzie

Programmer
Jul 5, 1999
CA
Hi! This is my 1st post and obviously I'm here because I need help. I do plan on contributing though.<br>
<br>
On to my question. I am using Crystal Reports 6 to write a simple report containing 1 group. The details section within this group contains a number of fields. My criteria I wish to impose within SQL before the report is run is to filter each group that contains a certain value within one of these fields. <br>
<br>
It looks something like this:<br>
<br>
(Group #1)<br>
xxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx<br>
xxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx<br>
xxx aaa xxxxx xxxxxxxxx<br>
<br>
The (aaa)s would be the key, once it is identified, I need the group either suppressed (within CR, but I know it is impossible to surpress an entire group) or filtered out through the SQL query.(my only solution)<br>
<br>
Here is a clip from my SQL query, I've read through every SQL and Crystal Reports book I could get my hands on. SAP_Transports."SAPServer" being the field that the value is contained in.<br>
<br>
SELECT<br>
Help_Desk."Problem #", Help_Desk."Client ID", Help_Desk."Subject ID", ASAPTRAN_."CLIENTNO", SAP_Transports."Transport No", SAP_Transports."Transport Date", SAP_Transports."Pstatus", AP_Transports."SAPServer", SAP_Transports."CurrStatus"<br>
<br>
FROM<br>
"_SMDBA_"."Help Desk" Help_Desk, "_SMDBA_"."_SAPTRAN_" ASAPTRAN_, "_SMDBA_"."SAP Transports" SAP_Transports<br>
<br>
WHERE<br>
Help_Desk."Problem #" = ASAPTRAN_."CASE" AND ASAPTRAN_."TRANSPNO" = SAP_Transports."Transport No" AND ASAPTRAN_."TRANDATE" = SAP_Transports."Transport Date"<br>
<br>
ORDER BY<br>
Help_Desk."Problem #" DESC, ASAPTRAN_."CLIENTNO" ASC, SAP_Transports."Transport No" ASC, Help_Desk."Subject ID" ASC, Help_Desk."Client ID" ASC<br>
<br>
I know I've got to set an Alias and remove it from there, then compare the two(Union), but I can figure it out on my own with the referneces and lack of help my office is providing me with.<br>
<br>
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hi Chris,<br>
<br>
If I'm understanding your question, you just need to filter before calling Crystal. This is how I did it(assumes you have your SQL string in ReportSQL$):<br>
<br>
Dim Report As New PeopleDetail<br>
<br>
Option Explicit<br>
______________________________________________<br>
Private Sub Form_Load()<br>
Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset<br>
<br>
If Len(ReportSQL$) = 0 Then<br>
MsgBox "Recordset not selected yet. Use the Query form first"<br>
Unload Me<br>
End If<br>