Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports printing details section twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrian

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
CA
I've got a Crystal Report that's running through a VB.NET program. In the program, I'm filling the dataset that the report gets it's data from, and passing it to the report. For some reason, when I run the report, it's printing the details section twice... Instead of

I get

Does anyone have any idea why? I've allready checked the data, it's only in the tables once...

Just tried putting in the latest service packs both for the .NET version and the 10 that we have, and neither solved the problems. I was thinking there might be 2 details sections, but there's only 1 showing up when I look for it in the section expert.

Ahhh, you're using Crystal 10?

Well if the section expert doesn't show it, then it shouldn't have one, this is odd...

Try adding in a formula containing the function recordnumber to learn what Crystal believes to be each row, if they duplicate, then it's a section sort of concern, if not, then it's a data retrieval concern.

-k

Ok... I tried that, and they are all unique. No duplicates with that... So I'm really at a loss as to what to do! I've exported the data to an XML file, and created a report off of that, and it works fine, but when it's looking for the VB.NET Dataset, it's printing the rows twice.

What does "when it's looking for the vb.net dataset" mean in technical terms?

Meaning that when you are displaying the report?

I guess the other trick I would try is Database->Selecdt Distinct Records.

Never heard of such a thing, except some bugs after a page break.

-k

Yeah, it's when it's displaying the reports. The option to Select Distinct Records is greyed out for whatever reason...

Likely grayed out because of your database/connectivity.

What does "I'm filling the dataset that the report gets it's data from" mean in terms of what database and connectivity you are using?

I'd guess that the dataset is incorrect.

If the record numbers are correct, then put in a suppression until you resolve the issue:

remainder(recordnumber,2) <> 0

Place this in the suppression and then see if it displays correctly.

Something sounds weird with your Crystal Viewer.

-k

Not an ideal situation, but it seems to work. Thank you!

Yeah, I know, it's an ugly kludge...

I also fear that there now may be some exporting concerns since you mentioned that they were correct before. If so, you may need a parameter to state whether it's for export and unsuppress in that instance - even uglier...

I'm still suspicious of your data retrieval methods as I've not heard of this concern before.

-k

Ok.. I've started re-writing one of the reports, and it's displaying properly... I'm going to take some time and go through it step by step to hopefully find the culprit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back