Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports on BOE XI 3 datasource problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetter88

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
CA
Hi...
I'm involved in an update to BOE 3.1.
The problem i'm having is changing the data source correctly.
The reports were moved to the new server. I open the report, change the datasource, but the stored procedure does not change to the change database (catalog). How can i get the stored procedure to automatically? (Note the report running a sotred procedure)

part II:
Also, in the Central Mgmt Console, there is a section for database configuration for each report. I tried the "custom" setup to change the datasource b/c for the multiple enviroments (DEv, TRAINING and PROD), but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Did you do a 'verify database' after changing the source?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

hi..
yeah i tried that right away and the stored procedure stayed linked to the old database even though the data source is pointing to the new one.
(i don't know how to attach an image to this post properly)

You don't mention what type of database you're connecting to or what type of connection you're using (native, ODBC, etc.) Also, is the "owner" of the stored procedure the same in the different environments?

How are you changing the database location? When the owner is the same in all of the databases and I'm using a native connection, something that I've found that works when Set Location doesn't is to close all of the connections in Crystal. Then run the report but log in to the database I want to move it to instead of the one it was designed with and publish this report to BOE. This is what I'm having to do at my current client when moving reports between environments.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

hi...
i'm using a SQL server 2000 database (that will be updated soon).
I have an ODBC connection setup to access the data.
The way i'm changing the database location is using the "Set Datasource Location" method in crystal reports. The datasource properties were "updated" correctly, but the stored proc "properties" in tyhe report still link to the old database. (I wish i could paste the screenshot).
ideally... i would like to the CMC (central mgmt console) to be able to control the datasource, the fact that the stored proc doesn't change in not good. This way I don't have to open the report at all.

You're right, you should just be able to handle this by updating the configuration in the CMC. Unfortunately, there are quirks in how Crystal handles stored procs and that's not always possible. Try running the report in Crystal but log in to the db for the environment you're moving to instead of the one you designed the report with and see if that will work for you.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

I will continue to try. A co-workers found this.

The crystal engineers were able to duplicate the problem.
However, their response is that it is this way 'By Design'.

Apparently, it has to do with the way Crystal tries to use its 'Mapping' tool to bring up the Field Mapping Options when the databases differ.

From what I am told this issue has been brought to the 'Development' team before and they refuse to provide a fix.
This has been an issue since the Crystal Reports Engine change in Crystal X.

Therefore, the ‘Custom’ datasource location, really only is of value when
a) Report has no subreports
b) Report is not built off of stored procedures

Have you heard of this before?

Jetter88, I am not sure that this is the same problem , but there are issues with crystal reports using ODBC connection when database or server are changed progammatically. My company developed a tool to resolve this problem for our clients. I will be interested to see a sample report to check if the tool can be helpful in your case.

Viewer, scheduler and manager for Crystal reports.
Send your report everywhere.

How do I attach a screenshot or file correctly? Do I have to you mediafile?

This tool you are talking about available for download?
Does it change the datasource and stored proc details at the same time?

Another update.
What I'm noticing is that since tables and views have changed in the application, the stored procedure properties connected to any of the tables/views don't update. (it fails to change the "catalog" properly.)

I tried using the "Database Expert" method and select the stored proc and remove the old one from the report (they will have the same names), but if i remove the old one... the fields on the report are removed b/c they are associated to the stored proc removed.

frustrating.

The tool is not available for download. It is used from our clients when they migrate to a new server. Since most of the time one report is used with one database it is faster to convert the report to use specific database than to switch the datasources in runtime.
You cannot remove the stored procedure because you will lose all the fields. You can just change the connection.
I never uploaded attachments here , but seems like Step 3 is the one that you can use .and you need an URL so most likely mediafire is the choice (except you have DropBox or something similar)

Viewer, scheduler and manager for Crystal reports.
Send your report everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back