Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal reports compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

danisem

MIS
Apr 11, 2002
US
We currently have historical data in Oracle and we implemented a new operation and accounting system using the Progress database engine. I know almost nothing about Crystal Reports, but have heard it would be the best reporting tool to pull the data from these 2 environments together. Would Crystal Reports be the most likely candidate to do the job?

Thanks in advance.

It can link disparate data sources, although you'll lose join types, adn it isn't a very efficient database engine.

Many people will link (not import) their different data sources into an Access database, perform the query(ies?) to prepare the data for reporting in, and then point the report at the Access database/query.

-k

danisem,

I'd agree with Synapsevampire that the best way to handle this would be to import the data into, say, Access and run the report from there.

Be aware that this would mean that you would be reporting against a snapshot of the data, and would only be up to date as at the last time you did the import. You could get round that by linking to the data rather than importing it. My preference would be to do that using Visual Foxpro with remote views, but that's just my personal taste. The principle is the same.

Whether Crystal is the best reporting tool for this kind of job ... well, you'll have to remember that we are most of us a little biased in this forum..

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back