Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports 9 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmrock

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
Hey Everyone,

I am setting up my new computer and I installed Crystal Reports 9 and there is no Oracle Server under the "More Data Sources" section of the database. I installed the oracle drivers after Crystal 9. Any ideas on how to get these on the PC. This is a windows 7 64 bit if that matters.

And I will be installing Crystal 2008 also.

Hi,
2 ideas:

Uninstall the CR and reinstall now that the Oracle client is installed ( and you did install an Oracle client , not just an ODBC source, right?)

2:
Be sure the version of CR includes support for Oracle - it needs to be the Developer edition I believe - also be sure when you installed it that you chose to install Oracle support ( it is not part of the standard install, if I recall correctly)

May I ask why CR 9?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

We have both CR9 and 2008. We are post our reports to crystal reports enterprise 9... so thats why we are still using 9.

I just got a new PC so I was trying to get everything setup on the new one pretty much the same as my old one.

Would love to just start using 2008 but not sure if I created reports in 2008 I could post them to Enterprise 9.

BTW.. CR9 is the developer edition.

Also not using ODBC and using the oracle drivers because we have 100's of reports using the oracle connection in Crystal.

Ok. So I uninstalled 9 and reinstalled it. Made sure I selected all of the different drivers when it installed and still not available.

Hi,
OK now check the version ( Standard, Pro or Developer?)

Pro or Developer are needed for Oracle connectivity.

[profile]

I don't know much about this, but I thought that with Windows 7 you had to download 32-bit drivers to get CR to work properly.

-LB

Hi,
pardon my obvious failure to read what you posted:
fmroc said:
BTW.. CR9 is the developer edition.

Al LB noted, W7 ( especially thr 64bit version) may have issues with CR ( and with Oracle as well)..

you may need to have both 32 and 64 bit Oracle clients installed since CR is a 32bit app - from the notes I have read, however, CR9 may not work even then.

[profile]

It is Windows 7 64 bit. I have the oralce drivers installed 32 bit version. I will try the 64 and see.

Do you see any issues with CR 2008.

Also, would there be any issues using CR2008 totally and still being able to upload to an older Crystal Enterprise 9....I don't think most of the reports would be using anything special in 2008 that wasn't in 9. Most reports, other departments export to excel anyways.

I have not seen any issues going from CR 9 to CR 2008 so far.

Just be aware, how CR exports has changed from CR 9 to CR 2008. I do not remember all the details, but I do remember that there was a text export in CR 9 that does not work the same and from what I heard from a co-worker, export to Excel works differently.

I hope this helps.

To clarify, I think the issue is that you need to use 32-bit drivers for CR, even on a 64-bit machine.

-LB

I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit Oracle Drivers on this PC and both CR9 and 2008 do not have the Oracle Servers listed in the data source.

I can connect to the databases via SQL+ which is part of the Oracle Clients....

This is kind of disappointing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back