Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports 2008 Select Expert Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

QABrian

Technical User
Apr 15, 2010
US
I am using Crystal Reports 2008. I have been asked to create a report listing part numbers related to a specific project. I have been given a spreadsheet with a list of those part numbers 3,513 part numbers to be exact. I only want the report to display information related to those 3,513 part numbers. I am working in Excel to convert the column of part numbers into a row of part numbers formatted to be used as a "Select Expert" filter ( "XXXXX","XXXX",) ect. . . Assuming I can Concatenate those 3,513 part numbers into a singe cell to be pasted into the Crystal filter, does Crystal 2008 have a limit on the number of items I can put into the filter?? If so, any recommendations on how I can get those specific 3,513 part numbers in one report?

Thanks

You can add the Excel file to the report as a table, then link on part number.

If you really wan to put them in the Select Formula, then write a report that reads the Excel file and generates text that you can copy and paste into the Select Formula (NOT the select expert)

Charliy. Thank you! so much for replying, I didn't know I could add an Excel file as a table in Crystal Reports. That was very helpful!!

I tried your first suggestion adding the report as a table, it displayed the data but report didn't run correctly, it ran for several hours reading several million records, it shouldn't take that long and need to read through that many records. I tried different linking between the tables but it didn't help much.

I am working on your second suggestion, I am attempting to write a report that will generate text to paste into the Selection Formulas menu option. I have been attempting to create an array that will take the column of numbers and put it into a format like:

[123", "456", "789", ect...] so I can use it with the Selection Formulas, I assume that will accept over 1,000 items?

Hopefully I am understanding what you wrote "write a report that reads the Excel file and generates text that you can copy and paste into the Select Formula (NOT the select expert)". Please correct me if I have missed the point.

Thanks again.

If you're getting millions of records, then check your links between the files. Are there fields you can use to limit the number of matches?

Yes, that's what I meant. When I do reports like that I usually jus print the detail like: '"'&[table.field}&'",'
then export to a text file, remove the last comma, and copy/paste into the select formula.

Unfortunately, when you link between two different data connections, Crystal cannot push the join to the database for processing - it brings all of the data into memory and does the join there. If the table you're trying to filter has millions of rows, all of them will be pulled into memory and then joined to the Excel table in memory. This is why it's taking so long for your data to process.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Charliy wrote on Jan 27

[tt]You can add the Excel file to the report as a table, then link on part number.[/tt]

Try by also giving the condition in the Record Selection Formula
[tt][table.field]=[Sheet1.PartNum][/tt]
and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back