Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report using Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadd

Programmer
Oct 28, 2001
US
I'm using Crystal 10. I have a stored procedure I wrote that exists in an MS SQL 2000 database. From the Crystal development environment, I open the Database Expert window so that I can select the Stored Procedure I want to base the report on.

When I try to select my stored proc (by moving it from the left to the right), I get a message that says "Query Engine Error: 'Cannot obtain error message from server'"

Now....My stored proc takes one parameter. I noticed that if I alter the stored proc so that it does *not* take a parameter then I do not get the error.

So my question is: What is causing this error, and how do I get Crystal to connect to a stored proc that requires a parameter?

I solved it myself. I had to make sure that every path in the stored procedure would return a dataset. One of my IF...ELSE blocks had a branch that did not return a dataset. Once I fixed that, the error message went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back