Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report using an ISAM file

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaC

Programmer
Oct 18, 1999
US
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience reading an Indexed Sequential file with Crystal Reports?&nbsp;&nbsp;I click new report and choose my *.dat file.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem is I get one field.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does something need to be set up somewhere? <p>LindaC<br><a href=mailto:lcastner@co.orange.ny.us>lcastner@co.orange.ny.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Linda,<br><br>I believe you need to set up an ODBC DSN for the .dat file, just as you would for a .txt file.&nbsp;&nbsp;When setting up the DSN, you will specify the layout of the columns in your file.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can use the Microsoft Text Driver for the driver, but I've heard it can be tempermental.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have another text driver available, maybe try setting one up with that too and see which works better.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then in Crystal, create the report using ODBC, instead of a data file.<br><br>Hope this helps!

Well, I created the ODBC DSN as suggested and was able to access the file.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem now is some of the data looks like machine code.&nbsp;&nbsp;These characters are throwing off the character count on the fields ie in the name field the salary and some codes are listed.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I look at the .dat file in MSWord I can see all the unusual characters and many many page breaks??????????????&nbsp;&nbsp;A coworker has accessed this file using a COBOL program with no problem. <p>LindaC<br><a href=mailto:lcastner@co.orange.ny.us>lcastner@co.orange.ny.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back