Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report - Performance Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeno

MIS
Feb 24, 2006
GB
Hi

Im running Crystal XI and Oracle 10g Database.

I have one specific report which runs incredibly slowly. It is not an overly complicated report but it will take an hour to return any results.

I am by no means a Crystal expert as self taught through a 'For Dummies' book.

I am only reporting off of 2 tables which are linked by Left Outer Join.

It appears when I add a specific field to the report it severely impacts the run time of the report. the field itself is just a freetext field from the Database.

Is there anything I can look at to either try and improve the run time of the report or to apply to the field which appears to be causing a large portion of the slowdown.

I know this is vague and if anyone can help but needs specifics please let me know what information would help you to help me.

Many Thanks for anything you can give me

David

Hi David.
The first thing to try is running the Crystal query via another tool, such as Toad, against your Oracle database. This will help you to see whether the issue is with Crystal or the query itself.

To find the database query go to the "Database" menu and select "Show SQL query". Copy this into your other application and give it a go!
ShortyA

Hi

Thanks. I will try this first.

Cheers

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back