Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report - Newbie- Where do I begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaleen7

MIS
Jun 23, 2002
US
I'm a total newbie to Crystal reports. We're hooking crystal reports to our SQL database in a few weeks and I know zero about it. I've heard it's similiar to a Microsoft Access database. Is this true? Can anyone suggest beginner books or sites? What's the difficulty factor for a newbie programmer?

Thanks
Shaleen

You can write a decent basic report using the 'wizards' that the system comes with. For better usage, this is the place to look.

I came to Crystal as an experienced programmer who was however used to Mainframe standards. I got confused by the processing cycle, which is inflexible and you have to adapt to it. Also by nulls being different to zeros/spaces, and by Crystal's habit of stoping processing on a field when it finds a null, unless you do an IsNull test before anything else.

Madawc Williams
East Anglia, Great Britain

If you know a little bit of programming then you're all set. You should just start out by messing around with the program and when you get stuck come here. Somebody else has probably had the same problem as you before and you may be able to find a solution right here. Just go to the CR forums and do a keyword search on your problem and if you can't find a solution there then you can start a new topic clearly defining your problem! Simple as pie!

If you know a little bit of programming then you're all set. You should just start out by messing around with the program and when you get stuck come here. Somebody else has probably had the same problem as you before and you may be able to find a solution right here. Just go to the CR forums and do a keyword search on your problem and if you can't find a solution there then you can start a new topic clearly defining your problem! Simple as pie!

penpen.gif

Toxodont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back