Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report capability? mapping to google maps or bing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetRamsey

Technical User
Oct 22, 2010
US
I've been using Crystal Reports 8 for years, but may upgrade soon. I'm wondering if the latest version can do one or both of the following within the program or by adding a 3rd party add-on.

1. If my result set includes 15 lat/long values within the data extracted, is there a way to press a button that would then populate all of the addresses on a google map, bing map or whatever. Can this be done with Crystal 8? Another version? Any version with an add-on?

2. If one field has correctly parsed out an address like "510 S 18th St, Oakland CA" within each row, is there a way to press a button that would then geocode the address and populate all of the addresses on an online map (google, bing, etc). Can this be done with Crystal 8? Another version? Any version with an add-on?

Thanks

You could create a KML file from your data using Crystal. I cant think of a "button" you could then use but your kml cold then be read by google maops and plot all your lat/long positions with a description of each.
2. Never tried it with addresses

Thanks for giving it a shot. I may have to go the SSRS, but I would rather stick to something I'm use to.

Hi JetRamsey,

I use Crystal to extract my data, export it to Excel and then use the website .

This website is an Excel to KML converter and works great. The website also gives you information on how to add additional columns and make your data even more useful after you display it in GE or Maps. I use it numerous times a week to plot information in Google Earth.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck!

since reading this initial post I have been playing with lat/long data to accomplish the same thing. I have created all the KML tags in the header and footer of the report and then created formulas so the lat/longs fit in the details. Then the Excel to KML isnt required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back