Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Report and ORACLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

benr

Programmer
Aug 23, 1999
CA
Hi, <br>
<br>
I am using CR7 with ORACLE 8. <br>
<br>
I&lt;m designing reports that will be launched through Lotus Notes. I will produce a exe file for each report. Some of the reports have parameters, some other dont. <br>
<br>
My problem is that every time i launch a report, the report needs to connect to ORACLE and it prompts the user for an ORACLE password. <br>
I would like to avoid that, if possible. <br>
<br>
I know there is a product called ReCrystallize that does this ( amongst other thing). <br>
<br>
But I was wondering: <br>
Does anyone know of any other products? <br>
Can it be accomplished without a third party solution?<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<br>

benr,<br>
<br>
You should be able to do this through your ODBC call (I asume you are using ODBC). The call would be something like this. (This is a direct port from an existing app - I think it still exists, anyway.)<br>
<br>
"DSN=LTSCost; uid=databarn; pwd=password"<br>
<br>
An alternative, if you cannot make the above work, would be to ask your Oracle DBA to provide a 'non-password, read-only' instance alias that could be used by your reports' ODBC calls.<br>
<br>
Make a good day . . .<br>
. . . barn<br>
<br>
<br>

databarn,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the reply.<br>
<br>
I know I can do this if i was launching report from VB or VFP (or any other language). But can I do this within Crystal Report?

Will you be using the Notes client or a web browser as the interface to your app at the point where the reports are launched?

We are thinking of using the Notes client.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back