Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have a program that I wrote in vb.net 2003. I just made the setup package and installed it on a computer. It seems to work fine except for one area. It concerns a Crystal Report report that I have in the program. The first time I try to run the report I get the following error:

The program has encountered an error. Message : COM object with CLSID {XXXX} is either not valid or not registered. Source: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.

I also get this error:

Load crpe32.dll failed. Source : CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.

The program was designed on a laptop and works fine there. I only get the error on installs to other computers. Where should I start to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Shannan

Have you tried copying the crpe32.dll from the laptop to the other computer?

I had this problem a while back and cannot remember how I solved it.

Good luck,
djj

I have. I searched the laptop (the known good) and it listed this crpe32.dll in two locations:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\Bin
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\1.0\Bin

I manually copied the file to both locations. It still gives me the error.

Thanks,

Shannan

Go to the Run item on the Start menu, and type:
regsvr32 <path & filename of dll or ocx>

i.e.

regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\1.0\Bin\crpe32.dll

regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\Bincrpe32.dll

Sorry about the long delay in responding. It has been a zoo here. I will check out these links.

Thanks,

Shannan

By the way, I tried the regsvr32 and it did not work. It says something to the effect that the entry point was found but it could not register them.

I added the 4 merge modules per the Crystal Reports and Visual Studio .NET instructions from the Crystal Reports website. I uninstalled and installed the new setup. I still get an error when I try to view the report.

The program has encountered an error. Message : COM object with CLSID {XXXX} is either not valid or not registered. Source: CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.

I also get this error:

Load crpe32.dll failed. Source : CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shannan

Hello,

You will need to enter the license number that you get from Visual studio.

Open visual studio. Help | about visual studio
Scroll down and find crystal reports. There will be a license number. copy and paste that into one of the merge modules under the setup project (but can't remember for sure)

The dll error message you are getting might be because you have not set your crystal report dlls under project reference to local copy to true.

There is also some good documentation on the businessObjects website about doing this.

Hope this helps,

Steve

I did set the license number in the license merge module property.

I think I found a better solution. I found a report designer that is very easy to use and it only cost $99.00. I have been using it for a few hours now and love it so far.

Thanks for the help.

Shannan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back