Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Printing Large Job from VB6 Hangs - Help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn2876

Programmer
Aug 20, 2007
US
We have developed user software in VB6 using Crystal 8.5. We use SQL Server for the database and a DSN for the report connection. Our problem is that when a large print job is sent to the printer, it sometimes lock up. The report we have specifically been testing prints a check and has two sub reports which print the detail invoices being paid. From some of our development machines it works fine producing 30 - 50 checks with no hitch, from others only the first 1 - 6 checks are printed and then the windows printing system hangs as well as the application. We did have a customer using the software and the driver for the printer was HP PCL6. We found that changing the driver to HP PCL5 larger data can be printed. This, however, didn't solve a client who had HP Laser Jet 4350. The PCL5 didn't change the situation. Our software has been in distribution for about three years and these print issues have only cropped up in the last few months. We have seven different databases, applications and hundreds of reports. This type of situation is occuring in all seven. We have been fighting this for a while. Please any response would be appreciated!

Lynn

Lynn, I ran into trouble with Crystal Reports once when I tried to use some old report specs in an application enhancement. The app ran fine on Win2000 machines, and had all kinds of strange problems on an XP machine. I solved the problem by opening the old reports in the CR designer on the XP machine (they opened ok), cutting and pasting the Field specs and all that into a new report file, and then saving the new file and using it. The ones that were actually created on the XP machine ran fine on both the XP and Win2000 machines. I don't know if this is helpful, but I hope you solve the problem.

Bob

I did forget to mention all development has been on XP machines. I will try this but I need a faster solution. we have 250 reports that are released with our software. This could be tedious. We have 71 clients running the software. Each client has 5 - 40 user licenses. None of the machines running are 98 or less. We have the same type of problem on Dell, HP, etc. There isn't any common groupnd on the PCs that don't work.

I did forget to mention all development has been on XP machines. I will try this but I need a faster solution. we have 250 reports that are released with our software. This could be tedious. We have 71 clients running the software. Each client has 5 - 40 user licenses. None of the machines running are 98 or less. We have the same type of problem on Dell, HP, etc. There isn't any common ground on the PCs that don't work.
Lynn

Sounds to me like it's time to call Crystal Reports Support, and cough up a hundred bucks if they ask you to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back