Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal print failure - onle on the first page, only certain objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1BBQ

Programmer
May 28, 2001
US
We have a VB.Net application that lets the customer generate 4 different pre-programmed Crystal Reports on the results of our control system. Three out of the 4 reports print up just fine. One of them leaves out certain objects, BUT ONLY ON THE FIRST PAGE of the Report. It's been a long time since I've looked at it, the application was pretty much finished a couple of months ago. But I made some changes in one of the Reports that DOES print, and as I wanted to check them all again, I printed them all. I know the failing report USED TO print OK.

There are several plain text objects in the Report Header Section that fail to print, but there is one that does print. So it doesnt seem that it's because of the type of object. There are several Parameter Fields in the Details Section that fail on the first page but appear in following pages. Same for one Formula Field in the Details.

If I export it to a .pdf, everything prints from that.

I moved the app and the database to another computer and printer, same results

I hope it's clear that the report looks correct in the Designer, it's just a failure to print on paper.

Looking at Search, I found the word "Suppress" and wondered if I had suppressed them without realizing it. But I can't find anywhere that any of the unprinted objects are suppressed

Well, I found what was apparently happening, but I have no idea why. I was looking at the problem the wrong way. Instead of thinking "this object is able to print, what's wrong with the others?" I should have asked "is there something about this object that makes the others not print?" I copied my project to a "test" version so I could beat on it, and started doing everything I could think of to the objects that failed to print, changing position, moving from one section to another, changing fonts, deleting them. I finally tried deleting one of the objects that DID print, and when I did, everything printed. I recreated the deleted object as a brand new one of the same kind, and still everything printed. Somehow that one text object was "poison" to the rest on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back