Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Offline Viewer with NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessebo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2001
US
I have having an issue with typically NT machines where I install the Crystal Offline Viewer and the report (.rpt) file is emailed to the user. When the user opens up the email the icon of the report looks correct but when they try to open the attachment the user gets this error message: "The file does not have a program associated with it for this action. To create an association, double-click My Computer on your desktop. On the View menu, click Options, and then click File Types."

When I check the association the .rpt files are associated with the Crystal Offline Viewer. This has happened on a number of PCs but not all with NT. Is there anyone out there with a solution. We just recently implemented Crystal Enterprise 9. This is not an issue for us with Windows 2K machines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bessebo

Hi,
Try Shift-Right-Click on the rpt file and use the Open With option..select the OffLine viewer and be sure the 'always use this..' option is checked..

Sometimes NT needs it done this way, some times from the 'View..Options..File Types' method.

I always try both..

[profile]

OK,
When I perform a Shift-Right-Click I do not have the opion of Open with, only Open (and a number of other choices, Quick View, etc). The only way I can get the Offline Viewer to open up the file is to save the file to disk (I saved it to Desktop). Then I right click on the icon on my desktop and choose the Open with Crystal offline Viewer. This is the only way I can open up the file with the Crystal offline Viewer. There must be an easier way...

Bessebo

Another way of associating a type is using the windows explorer.
Open the explorer-> Tools->Options-> select the file types tab -> and locate the RPT file type -> click the Advanced and change the 'Open' program to the desired application.

hope this helps...

Srinath

Yes I know how to associate a file type and this is associated correctly in Windows Explorer and we still get the file association error when trying to open an .rpt file within Outlook 98.

Regards,
Bessebo

Hi,
Can you save it to disk and then open it by dbl-clicking? Some OE security option may be preventing it from opening directly.

[profile]

Yes, that has been our workaround. Crystal thinks it may have to do with the users using Outlook 98. We may try Outlook 2000 and see if that solves the issue.

I ran into this problem a while back. I found a problem with the setup program that Crystal had created for the offline viewer. The file type association was not setup right. There is a fix out there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back