Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Enterprise services don't start on reboot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

samps1

MIS
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hi Folks,

I have a Crystal Enterprise 10 server which is running on Red Hat Linux AS 3.0 (everything required for CE is running on this box including an Oracle database). Twice a week, a full system backup is performed which requires the Linux server to be fully shutdown. When the server is rebooted, Crystal Enterprise fails to startup. In a startup script, we use the startservers script that comes out of the box from Business Objects and is located in the crystal home directory.

Here are the error messages that we receive from CE:

1) Unable to retrieve cluster members. CMS host 'pinky'
can be contacted, but there is no CMS running at port
2) Account Information Not Recognized: Server PINKY not
found or server may be down

Any help that I can get on this problem would be much appreciated.

Some additional information, after the server is reboot, I can manually run the startservers script (this is the same script that our startup script executes) and CE starts running correctly.

Thanks for any help

Hi,
You have discovered one downside of using Oracle as the CMS ( Lots of upsides)..Oracle's service will start but it takes some period of time for the database instance to open and mount - Until then the CMS will not respond and you will get that error..
I have found no work-around as long as the Oracle database is on the same server and has to be started each time the CMS is restarted..

If you place the Oracle instance used by the CMS on a different server( which is not rebooted when the CE server
is) then it will already be open when the CE CMS service needs to connect to it.

[profile]

We use Sql Server on Windows servers and I get those same messages in the system log when the servers are rebooted.

In my instance though, the servers eventually do start and I'm not certain if it is because I set, under Windows services, that each Crystal service try to restart 3 times before failing.

It might be a startup order issue, in that in the Linux start script, you can wait for other services to be online before it fired up CE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back