Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Enterprise 8.0 APS Service will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2014
GB
We are testing a domain move on our crystal enterprise 8.0 server after changing the domain name and server name we can't start the APS service and we don't have the media to re install the server as it's soooo old and someone had had a clear out

it's installed on a Windows 2003 r2 server with service pack 2 it was working fine till we change the domain and server name I have been through the registry and changed the server and domain names and renamed the files and folders all the other services start but state (Failed to register with the APS OUR_NEW_SERVER_NAME. Please make sure the APS is up and running. Attempting an automatic retry...)

When I try to start the Crystal APS I get the information records in the app log stating connecting to access db ect and I can see the access lock file created so the service is opening that db

The error we get in the sever app log are below

1st Failed to register object "com.seagatesoftware.img.osca.aps."OUR_NEW_SERVER_NAME":aps" to the name server. Reason: Transport user error: invalid object name..

2nd Failed to register the APS to the name server.

3rd The root server reported an error Initialization Failure.

The error in the C:\Program Files\Seagate Software\logging is this

Timestamp (Process ID, Thread ID), (Event Type, Category, Event ID), Information:
11:29:13 (1376, 1924), (1, 1, 33009), Info: assert failure (Y:\ashwin\apssrvr5.cpp513). (ret || (op != CNameServerManager::Bind && op != CNameServerManager::Rebind) || CompareStringsNoCase(kind, NativeChar_Services::OCA_APSServer) != 0 : ).
Call Stack Dump: Not available
11:29:13 (1376, 1924), (1, 1, 33009), Info: assert failure (Y:\ashwin\apssrvr5.cpp401). (0 : ).
11:29:13 (1376, 1924), (1, 1, 33009), Info: assert failure (Y:\ashwin\apssrvr.cpp1202). (0 : ).
11:29:13 (1376, 1924), (1, 1, 33009), Info: assert failure (Y:\ashwin\apssrvr.cpp959). (0 : ).

We don't have a Y: and I can't find any reference to any part of the path in the registry Y:\ashwin\apssrvr5.cpp401

Any help would be very kindly received

Simon

I am not in tech and I don't use Crystal and BOE in the typical way, but I do know that you can't just rename the server and domain then rename folders and files to get it to work. Those names are included deep within encrypted files throughout the BOE servers like the input and output file repository and such.

My tech guy has told me that, at least according to BOE, it is possible to do but there is a lengthy and very difficult process of changing stuff manually. He says it is a nightmare and he's very excellent at both BOE and technical issues in general. The only way to go to a new server is to do a full installation and use the import wizard to transfer your data over.

Aren't you eligible for a free upgrade to one of the newer service packs? You could get the software that way. I know that SP5 is still supported on a 2003 server, so that might be an option.

Good luck!

A LOT of the server name information is embedded in the CMS database and, if it's anything like later versions, a lot of it is in a proprietary binary format in BLOB fields. It's been years since I've worked with it, so I don't remember whether CE8 had something like the "Central Management Console" in the newer versions of BO. If it does, you might be able to re-create the APS through there to get it up and running.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Thanks to you both I had changed all the reg,dll & rows in the db but like you said there is a blob field with data that I can't read so that must be the issue there is one one set of media for sale but if any service packs had been applied that may give issues.

It was only a temp measure as I'm converting all the Crystal reports to new versions using SSRS with stored procs so busy coding the SP.

Thanks again

Kind regards
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back