Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Display Monthly totals in side by side bar chart with rolling first month

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrodonis

Programmer
Jun 26, 2007
Hi,

I am attempting to create a side by side bar chart in Crystal to display monthly totals for 2 years of data, displaying the data monthly with Year 1 and Year 2 totals side by side in the chart. I would like the first month to be defined by the Month/Year that a user enters into a parameter and displays the 11 following months from there. So for example, If I enter April/2013, The first month in the bar chart is April, and the last month displayed is May. Each Month shows a bar with Year 1 and Year 2 totals... Year 2 is 2013 For Jan-April and 2012 for May-Dec. Year 1 is 2012 for Jan- Apr and 2011 for May -Dec.
I have used these formulas
Month:
if month({date})<10 then
"0"+totext(month(date}),0)
else
totext(month({date),0)
Date:
(totext(year({date}),0,"")+" - "+ {@month})
to order the data, but it creates a chart with a single column for each month, I want a yearly chart with side by side columns for each month.
The big question is how do I define the rolling months, so that the Month/Year entered is the first month and the rest follow from there?
Hope this is clear.
Help is much appreciated.
Michelle

For rolling months, you use DateAdd from currentdate. Or from a parameter date.

You could use it for selection, it could be something like
Code:
{data.date} >= DateAdd("m", -11, @Parameter.Date)

Put that in record selection and it ignores everything earlier.

Then group by calendar month. Let Crystal do the work.

I don't do many graphs but I think you can easily develop a graph from that.

PS. If you need the earlier data for something else, you might need to use a subreport. Use Edit > Subreport Links to feed it your parameter.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Hi, thanks for responding. My issue is not getting the data, it is in displaying the data in a chart they way I need it to display. I need to show each month with a Year 1 and Year 2 value (side by side). The problem is getting the months to display in order based in a rolling year based on a date parameter.

http://Documents%20and%20Settings\mrodonis\Desktop\Service%20Volume%20by%20Month.pdf
Link

Sorry, the previous attached file did not work. This link should. Notice the Months displayed have an alpha character displayed. What I would prefer to see is just the Month abbreviation, but I can't figure out how to sort it correctly and display only the Month abbr.

Sorry, no idea. Can anyone else help?

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Just insert chart, Type Side by Side bar, On change of Year, Month

You'll need formulas to get just the year and month from your date field, but that's easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back