Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 9 Help Needed Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkSHA

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
US
Crystal Experts:

I am hoping that someone can clarify some horrible issues I am having with Crystal Reports 9. I have been developing CR Reports for about two years now and I am very familiar with connecting, formula writing, etc. Recently, I started a new job and I have hit a real wall with working in Crystal Reports 9. I am hoping you can provide me with some insight and facts...I am having a hard time finding concrete information on my problem.

All of my experience with Crystal reports is with versions 8 and 8.5, but most importantly, with connecting Crystal via ADO, ODBC and other active database connections. At my current position, the method our clients connect is with DDF files and dictionary files. The database we use for our main product is Pervasive 2000 SQL and we DO NOT use an ODBC connection for our reports. Basically, our reports connect natively, again, to either DDF files or Dictionary files.

Now, the current DDF files and Dictionary files are very old....these were created many years ago. The person who created the dictionary files created them many years ago, so I am assuming they were probaably created in CR 6, though not sure. Here is my problem:

My company just got Crystal Reports 9. They are having major problems with it, and it is my job (along with many other programming duties..LOL) to get these to work within our system. Crystal Reports 6 and 8 have always worked...only now, with 9 are we having issues.

With CR 9 I can not connect to the dictionary files...I get errors every time. If I try to open an old report (say version 8) that uses dictionary files I get the error "Unable to load database tables" and I can not even get into design view...it just crashes. Now, even if I try to create a report in version 9, if I use the dictionary files I can make the connections in design view, but then I get the error when I try to preview the report "rowset is not updatable". I read on Crystal Decisions that this is a known bug and I downloaded the hotfix...this did not help either. I have tried several different hotfixes, with no luck.

Now, this hotfix did mention that this is for dictionary files created in 8.5...I know these dictionary files are much older than that.

Now, if I create a report in version 9 with a DDF connection I can run a report. If I try to open a report in CR 8 with the same DDF I get the same error (unable to load database tables) and it crashes, I can't even get into design view. I appears in 9 if I connect to certain DDF's I am OK, if I try to open multiple ddfs I again get the errors, some work, some combinations don't...I just can't pin-point anything.

I have been looking on line and I can't find anything to lead me in the right direction. With Versions 8 and 8.5 the current DDF files and dictionary files worked fine. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Some questions:

1) I have read that Crystal will be phasing out the dictionary files anyway. Now currently, are dictionary files CREATED IN VERSION 8.5 the only ones supported. As in, if these dictionary files were created in Version 6 will they no longer work with version 9? If so, I know I can stop trying. I just can't get a definitive answer anywhere.

2) Can't version 9 open older versions of Crystal? I am concerned that I can create a report using the same older DDF files, but I can not open a report created in version 8. Do you know why I am having this issue?

3) Are ddfs a known issue with version 9.....it appears I can't link tables. Any information or advice on this would be great.

If anyone can provide me with any information on Crystal 9 and using DDF files and dictionary files, please let me know. If you can think of any possible hotfixes or components that might help please let me know as well. I have tried several compatibility hotfixes from Crystal Decisions with no luck.

Thanks for your assistance

I have already downloaded this hotfix, but I thank you. If you have any other ideas please let me know...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back