Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 9.0 Issue with changing database name........

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRANDAZZO

Programmer
Nov 29, 2000
US
All -

I have been working with crystal since version 7.0. I have always used an odbc connetion to connect cryatal to a sql server db. Being I am a developer for a consulting company our db/server names are usually different from our client(s). No problem!!! When in development our odbc conn pointed to our server/db. When going to install at the client I would just create an odbc connetion on their server to point to their server/datebase. All worked 100% each time.

Now, for the first time I have created reports using crystal 9.0. I am using an oledb ado connection then selecting to use odbc for oledb. For some reason, the report is holding the database name from our development server in the report. Even though I have created a odbc connetion on our clients server to point to their server and db. The report still wants to reference our server and db. What I had to do was update the datasource location for each report. That was a pain in Da......But all worked fine. This is a real costly issue....

So, am I doing something wrong? Is this a crystal 9.0 bug? Is there some new setting I do not know about????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

frandazzo

Frandazzo

I was having a very similiar problem with switching databases using an ODBC connection in Crystal Reports 9. I went to the Crystal Decisions website and downloaded a few of the Hot Fixes for Crystal 9. I downloaded the cr90mainwin_en, cr90devwin_en and dbexdrvr9pluswin_en zip files and installed them on my computer. I would give that a shot first and see if it fixes any of you problems. Hope this helps.

We have seen a similar problem. In the past, we have removed the "database name"."dbo" prefix from the table names in order to allow the API engine to set the DSN to match the DSN used by our application.
I tried updating the hot fixes and still do not see a way to accomplish this task. The programmer assigned to this task ( I am a report writer ), opened an old prototype and found that the methods used to assign DSN are not working properly. We are going to end up using ADO ( converted from XML ) record sets, so I don't know if this will ultimately be a problem. We will be talking to CR tomorrow and I will update this item If I get any good news.

Hey Everybody,

I am having the same problem. We are upgrading from version 8 Developer edition to 9. I am testing with the evaluation Advanced edition right now using the RDC web technology. I have the correct server name on the right ASP, but I can't get the report to open. I found an article about the hot fixes and will install them. Did y'all correct y'alls problems? We have hundreds of reports that need changing. Any additonal information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back