Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 8.5 and Unify Dataserver - No outer joins aloud...help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acjim

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm a newcomer to crystal, which I'm running on a win2k on top of a Unify Dataserver database - I'm also a newbie with the database, but I've already hit some walls.

I've found out that the Unify dB will not allow outer joins - these have been an essential part of my tools so I've been looking to workaround this somehow.

workarounds:

1.I can easily run the Unify dB via ODBC in Access - but this doesn't really work with respect to distribution to the eventual users. Outer joins work though!

2.I thought could build a union query showing the results I need and link that to the main query (that doesn't need outer joins). However I cannot get Crystal to link a query to another query/table. I get errors, "Field not Found. Datadictionary Field .... not found" etc etc etc

argh!

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm stuck with this Crystal+Unify=Grief equation...Thanks!

Hi,
Try using a sub-report for the linked table..That way it will just be blank ( and can be conditionally supressed) for those records that do not match on the Subreport link..

[profile]

Hi Turkbear,

I kind of get what you're saying, and I've created a grouped subreport that shows just the records I need - conditional formula fields - but how do get the data from the subreport to integrate?

When I tried it just looked like all of the subreport was squeezed inbetween the parent report, without any sign of linked fields etc....

thanks!

Hi,
check the SubReport links when in design mode..

Where have you inserted the sub ( in Details, a GH or GF, etc)?

Not sure what you mean by Integrate..
[profile]

Hi Turkbear,

I've now got the subreport working within a basic table-style report. What I need to do is make this report into a crosstab style.

This doesn't seem to be possible, any ideas?

Great help so far!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back