Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 7: Verify Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerMom

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
CA
I am running Crystal 7 with Service Pack 1. I use SQL 7 tables for my backend. I have a report with subreports in it. The primary report and the subreports use stored procedures to access the table data. After I have created the subreport, if I make changes to its stored procedure and then use 'verify database' to update my subreport, Crystal acts like it has done the verification. Next when I save the subreport or the primary report, suddenly my C++ application is launched and I'm put into its debugger mode. When I close the C++ application, Crystal is no longer running and I have lost all work done in the report since the previous save.
This seems like a Crystal application bug to me. Any ideas on a work around?

Just a really wild guess.

The only reason that I can think of that crystal is launching your application is if your report have saved data.

If so, when you try to save it you might be asked if you want to run the report to get the saved data. This might launch the application.

You might also be thrown off by the relationship of a subreport and main report. When you insert a subreport into the main report you are inserting a copy, not a link. In other words you can't make changes in the original source report, and have the subreport update automatically. You have to make the changes to the subreport within the main report.

Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

The report is not using saved data and all updates are being done from within the subreport within the main report.
When I get thrown into the C++ debugger I see an error for a null pointer. Do you think that the subreport can't find the updated stored procedure or perhaps itself?
TiggerMom

ToggerMom: Just a thought - you might try Database/Set Location on both main and sub reports before verifying - even though you choose the same location this can sometimes 'force'a verify which otherwise seems to happen but doesn't David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Maybe I didn't understand where you were taken. Are you taken to a C++ app that you wrote, or just to the C++ design environment in the debugger?

Maybe CR (which I believe is written in C) is somehow throwing an error that is being trapped by your installation of C++? That would be a new one.

Of course the bottom line is that the report is generating some type of error that has to be found.

Troubleshooting:
Can you create a new simple report off of the new SP?
Can you verify this new reports database without error?
What if it is a subreport, can you verify it then?

This should tell us if it is the SP itself, or the change.

Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Solution found.
Although I haven't pinpointed what the exact problem was I did find a solution. I had to delete the original subreport then create a new subreport that uses a DIFFERENT name than the original subreport. If you create a new subreport and name it the same as the one you deleted, Crystal seems to remember something about the original subreport. Using a different name made all the difference in the world. Once I did this, suddenly the database verification worked properly and my report was working fine.
Thanks for your help! s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back