Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 4.6 using Access 97 table- want to convert to SQL Server table

Status
Not open for further replies.

moki

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
Hi,

What's the trick, if any, to setting the location of my Access 97 table in Crystal reports 4.6 to a SQL Server table?

The only way that I can see is to re-write the report using ODBC to SQL Server.

Thank you for you help.

You don't need to rewrite it if the structures are similar, however you do need to repoint to the correct tables/Views using Database->Set Location.

If the datasource is significantly different, you might be able to create a SQL Server View to give a similar look.

-k

Thank you synapsevampire,

Forgive my ignorance, I am currently pointing to a network drive and to the database mydb.mdb and would like to re-set the location to SQL Server mydb but I can't see a way to do this through the 'Set Location' option.

I must be overlooking something....Thank you...

Hi,
When in the 'Set Datasource Location' screens,use the Create New Datasource to connect to your SqlServer database..

Select the matching table from that connection and update the mydb.mdb table to use the new location..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Sorry Turkbear,

I don't see 'Create New Datasource' when going through the 'Set Location' screens. Is it because I'm using Crystal 4.6.1.0?

Thank you

Hi,
Maybe..Its been a very, very long time since I've seen that version.

When you click on Set Location, what options do you have ?

[profile]

Hi,

After clicking 'Set Location':

1. a list of tables
2. the set location button
3. the same as report button
4. the done button
5. the help button

If I click on the 'Set Location' button the 'Choose database' window displays with the following options:

1. the ok button
2. the cancel button
3. the Network button (Network mapping)
4. the drive dropdown box
5. the list files of type dropdown box (contains 'Current files' and 'All Files' only)

Thanks for you help.

Hi,
It sounds like that version of CR does not support anything other than file system databases ( no ODBC or native Connectivity to things like SqlServer or Oracle)

If you create a new report, do you get the option to use ODBC?

[profile]

Hi,

Yes I do get an option to connect thru odbc.

Just doesn't look like there's an easy way to do this other than adding a the SQL database and removing the Access database at least I retain the formulas.

I'll keep reviewing the responses then take this approuch if necessary.

Thank you all for generous time.

Hi,
Odd, it would seem that ODBC would also be an option when using the Set Location option..

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back