Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal 2013 and .Net distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarn1

Technical User
Jul 20, 2015
US
Hello and thanks in advance for reading.

I've been asked for opinion on how to distribute reports via a .Net application.

I was confused by SAP. What I heard was that reports in new Crystal versions (2011 - 2013) could not be written and distributed in a .Net application. (no runtimes?) That instead reports would have to be written in Crystal Reports in Visual Studio to be distributed. Is that correct?

So my questions

1. Can you write a report in Crystal 2013 and access it through a .Net application buy distributing the correct files with the App?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes then what are the licensing requirements?

3. If no then how can clients that have a copy of Crystal customize their own reports to work in this application? Do they all have to now buy Visual Studio?

4. Do you have any documentation for purchase that specifically deals with Crystal 2013 / .Net integrations?

Thank you very much

Yes, you can build a .NET application to access these reports. The .NET SDK used to be packaged in with the Developer version of Crystal Reports. However, that is no longer the case with Crystal 2011 and 2013. Instead you have to download the "Crystal for Visual Studio" SDK, which you can get from here:
Download and install the latest service pack "Install Executable" for integration into VS. You MUST have VS 2010 or newer to use this! The other installs are various runtime packages for installing your application - DO NOT install them on your development machine!

While I hate to send people away from Tech-Tips, the Crystal for Visual Studio space (forum) on SCN has a LOT of good information about how to use the SDK, including links to sample code. You can connect to it here:
-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back