Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

crystal 2008 vs 10.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

leburg

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
I have Crystal 2008 installed however need to modify reports written in 10.5. Is this possible, meaning once modified and saved as 2008, will they work on the server as if they were saved using crystal 10.5?

Many thanks in advance!

Guess what I'm asking is...will a Crystal 2008 (12) be backward compatible with 10.5 if I do not use any features new since 10.5?

I modify reports in CR 2008 all the time and they open up fine in the v10.x (and even the v9.x) report designer. So they are backward compatible. But that isn't exactly the same as running them on the server. It is likely that they would work, but it is possible that the server is set to reject reports with a different internal version number.

So while it most likely will work I don't think anyone could be confident about your environment without doing a test. And since it seems a pretty easy thing to test I recommend that you try it and let us know what happens. Just make sure you keep a copy of the original file.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

Thank you, Ken, for the tip, keep a copy, like to think I'd of thought of that, but one never knows, do one? I'll certainly report back when I learn more...cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back